I'm going to grow Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zoebisch01 said:
Usually, you can really stretch out a plant's ability to survive in extreme heat by heavy mulch and drip irrigation. They'll wilt horribly in the day but 'spring back' in the evening. We don't get to the 100's regularly but we do get streches in the high 90's and not a drop of moisture and I can grow just about anything as long as it doesn't need over 120 days. Shade cloth is another consideration as well.

Right, and that's what I have to do around here too. With all the people that have hops growing well in the same conditions as me, I can't help but wonder if the soil around mine is depleted by now. It's a crappy, coarse, decomposed granite base with finer dirt mixed in. I did mulch it, but that was a few years ago.

beergears said:
Could Idaho be talked into separating from the Union..??

We could install a friendly government, and start dividing the.. er, the goods ! :D

sure, just keep your feet to yourself in the public bathrooms....
and bring some guns

Growing hops is easy everyone should do it. This is my first years N.Brewer.

DSCF0002.jpg
[/IMG]

UPDATE: I've got rhizomes on the way from Boston......the brewer, not the city. A Nugget and a Galcier.

And mother in law has rhizomes on the way as well. She's got a very massive, very cool garden and she's growing hops for me. It's perfet - She does all the work, and I just get the harvest. Centennial, Cascade Willamette and Saaz.........If I remember correctly. I know I got a couple of "C" hops. Just going to do them in large pots on the patio this season as we're about to move. Kind of have a little patio garden going. I have strawberries and Orchids for SWMBO, and I'm gonna do a Habenero plant and some tomatoes as well.

Hey Talleymonster, how are the hops doing? I'm in Vegas, too and am thinking about ordering some Rhizomes. I saw a cool way to do it in pots that doesn't require 20 vertical feet.

I’ve read that climate does not effect hop growth much. However, I live in northern Nevada where we have cold winters and dry hot summers. Tomatoes and bell peppers grow great in my back yard garden. I’d like to plant hops this spring, but don’t want to if my climate is wrong for them…Does anyone have experience with hop growing in a high-desert climate?

Primary - Personal IPA
Kegged - Irish Stout

Hey Suds, I live in Sparks were you at? I just got some rhizomes in, put them in pots for now until the weather get a little more stable. It never fails 75 one Friday 28 the next!! Any way I tried some last year, but had to leave for the summer and left my pops in charge. They seemed to grow alright, but I don't think he took very good care of them. They got about 10ft of vine going, but no cones that I saw, I didn't come back until end of October though so they were gone by then. Hope to do well this year!

Hey Explude - I'm in north Reno and had pretty good luck last year. Planted a Magnum, Mt. Hood and Cascade. The Cascade never came out of the ground, but Mt. and Mag were great. This year I'm planting a Golding I got from Rob @ RHB in place of the Cascade. My Mt. and Mag are out of the ground about 14" already this year.

Very nice, I still need to determine where I want mine, I'm getting quite ancy though. I had all of mine come up, got them online from a place called the Thyme Garden. I should have asked Rob, but oh well. Did you ask Rob for any pointers? I know he knows some people that have been growing for at least a little while.

Rob's always helpful, but no I didn't ask him for help. I did all my research on-line. Don't get to anxious with this weather. I have my Golding planted in a container and move it from the garage to the kitchen to the garden depending on the weather. When it's warm, I’ll put it in the ground. Cheers!

My buddy just planted 2 N. Brewer rhizomes for me! I am so freaking excited for some home grown hops!!! Any ideas on expected AA%? I know its suppose to be lower, but any idea on best way to test it?

It should be the same as the parent plant as yours will be a direct clone...I don't know how to test, sorry! Happy gardening and brewing...Cheers!

I'm in Vegas as well and am about to start the homewgrown hop journey. I will try to document it and start a new post for the progress. Any other Vegas success stories out there? I'd love to get all the advice possible. :tank:

Just ordered some rhizomes from Northern Brewer. Got 2 Cascades and 2 Centennials. I plan on starting them in 5 gallon buckets with drippers on each one. One rhizome/dripper per bucket. If all goes as planned, they should be planted by this weekend.

Back