IPA hops and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juma

Reaction score
Hi ,
I have been toying with a double IPA kit and would appreciate some advice on dry hopping and yeast.

I like IPA 's but am not the crazy super hop freak. So I was thinking about not using the chinook hops as a dry hop. I was just going to skip the dry hop so that I didn't go over board.
Do you think this will achieve the results I am looking for? I have already begun fermentation with a liquid yeast, white labs California ale 001. I am worried about it because i left it in the closet of my house for a few weeks before i remembered to put it in the fridge. But after 36 hours there is one bubble every 12 seconds in the airlock.

I was considering pitching a champagne yeast if things don't get going in another day?
what do you think, not so good of an idea?
by the way the OG was lower than I expected only 1.062

Well, to me, an IIPA wouldn't really be balanced without the dry hopping. I wouldn't dry hop with Chinook, anyway, though.

Don't pitch the champagne yeast- let the beer yeast do its work.

If you post the recipe, we'll give you some ideas for dry hopping.

1.062 is a nice IPA not an IIPA.
Dry hopping is very common for American style IPAs but less common for English styles. Given that you are using WLP001, yours is probably more American but that doesn't mean you "have to" dry hop.
As mentioned Chinook is not a hop commonly used to dry hop. Cascades, Willamette and various other low alpha hops are the usual suspects. If your not a real hophead then I would avoid alot of Chinook as it can be harsh, I like it myself however.

If you make a IIPA (1.080+) without dry hopping it becomes more of a barley wine instead of an IIPA. Not that there is plenty of overlap between the two styles.
Craig

I agree with Yooper. Let the yeast do it's thing. You will not be happy with champagne yeast in that beer, and it sounds like what you have is working fine.

I agree with Yooper, again, on dry hopping. I've had some IIPAs and AIPAs that weren't dry hopped, and they just didn't make it. I've had a couple with very bold late hop additions, and they weren't bad, but that dry hopping really brings those styles home. If you are not a hophead, but you still want a big ol' beer, look more towards your English Barleywines, Strong Scotch Ales, Baltic Porters, and Foreign Extra Stouts. AIPAs and IIPAs are not for those who don't want hops swimming around in their dreams.

TL

Dry hopping isn't to add bitterness, it is for aroma and a little flavor.

Champagne yeast? Take this in the right spirit now....ready? WTF. No seriously, if your og was 1.12 I would still be wondering about it! You are over thinking it. If you enjoy that, well then I guess it is OK, but you have a perfectly good yeast, just think about the dry-hopping aspect of it and let it go!
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back