kegerator I had seen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prsman

Reaction score
Belleville, just across the river from St. Louis
I was surfing the web a couple months ago and stumbled upon a site with a killer kegerator setup I would like to replicate. I can't seem to find it again so I was wondering if anyone has seen something like this. The guy had built a wooden enclosure around a chest freezer, put casters on it, and made a nice bar top as well as a few shelves on the side for holding glasses. Didn't know if anyone else had stumbled across it and happened to bookmark it? I did but my laptop died along with all of my bookmarks...

You can start your search Here. Also i think that a couple of people have built what you are describing around here.

Cheers

I've always wondered about those designs that completely encase the freezer. The compressor has got to overheat.

i would always be a bit too paranoid to work on a chest freezer like that. eventually, the chest freezer will fail, and what will you do with all that work? you will have to do it all over again with a new freezer most likely since it will be fairly difficult to find a new chest freezer with the exact dimensions.

it definitely looks awesome while it is working though.

(my chest freezer is a standard full size fridge (top freezer) so if it ever went out on me, i could just pick up another one off craigslist. haha)

uh try this guy's tophatbrewery.com Not exactly what you are looking for, but he morphed his into part of his counter and it looks damn sexy. He must have the most amazing wife ever to let him do all this stuff

david_the_greek said:
uh try this guy's tophatbrewery.com Not exactly what you are looking for, but he morphed his into part of his counter and it looks damn sexy. He must have the most amazing wife ever to let him do all this stuff

Wow. Now that's how you do it. Spared no expense at all.

Make the bar separate from the freezer. Put both on casters, put wide cabinet doors on th front/back. That way, the freezer wheels out from under the bar. You can replace the freezer if it dies, and you don't have to make the whole top of the bar hinge up, which requires you romove all the acumulated stuf on top to access.

As long as there is a couple inches of free air below the freezer/bar for air flow, the compressor should be fine.

HighPlainsDrifter said:
Exactly what I was thinking. Its definitely nice to look at though.
After a closer look, you can see in the finished product that he incorporated a ventilation system.

gnef said:
i would always be a bit too paranoid to work on a chest freezer like that. eventually, the chest freezer will fail, and what will you do with all that work? you will have to do it all over again with a new freezer most likely since it will be fairly difficult to find a new chest freezer with the exact dimensions.

it definitely looks awesome while it is working though.

(my chest freezer is a standard full size fridge (top freezer) so if it ever went out on me, i could just pick up another one off craigslist. haha)
If you do it right you should just be able to remove a few screws and swap the freezer out. Allowing room on the sides for ventilation (which is a must) will allow for slight variations in size. Of course, you could always modify the wood frame and sell it off as a finished bar....then just build a bigger, better kegerator!:D

Back