Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesw801

Reaction score
Hi, what is the best way to know that your brews fermenting process has finished and it's ready to transfer to the bottling bucket?

Wait three weeks after brewing, take a hydrometer sample one day then take it again two days later to make sure they are the same, proceed to bottling. I don't really take two samples though, if you pitch enough yeast and have it sitting at a good temp you'll be done in three weeks. Waiting the additional time also lets the yeast clean up some fermentation by products so they are essentially cleaning up after themselves which is why you should wait those three weeks.

Regardless of how long it takes to get there, once you have stable hydrometer readings 2-3 days apart from one another, you beer is finished fermenting. This should be near your predicted FG (otherwise could be stuck fermentation). As stated above, if you can stand to wait longer than 2 weeks, the beer will likely come out better than if you rush it.

Thanks everyone. These are all great tips! This is my first batch ever, so patients I need to have! :)

Heres how i do it. When airlock stops i give it another week then i watch for bubbles in brew when the brew looks dead (no yeast farts )i take reading and go from there. Yeah i just eyeball it mostly. Its not brain surgery its brewing beer have some fun live it up! :) Oh and be creative as possible!

Back