Ahhh glorious brewday. Nelson IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
It is a hell of a day here in CT. So glad to be off from work and brewing beer.

Hot but not oppressive (like my swmbo... im lucky!) And a great breeze. So comfy in my chair just chillin. I feel almost as good as I would in the carribean! Gotta love this hobby.

I am brewing a twist from my standard IPA. I normally do a clone of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, but Ive been meaning to so something with nelson sauvin hops. So I tweaked the recipe a bit and it is in full swing. A little rye, and wyeast1318 London III will hopefully do magical things. Here's the recipe.
West Indies Pale Ale
11 lb 2row
1 lb rye
1 lb c80L
0.5 lb carapils
1oz nelson sauvin 90min
1oz Willamette 15min
1oz Willamette 1min
Mashed at 152 for 60-75mins. Pitched onto a big starter of wy1318. Dry hop with 0.25oz nelson sauvin and 0.25oz Willamette.

Can't wait to give more details.

Pics of: My setup, post mash. The boil. My lazy helper. My true help: Blueberry Blonde.

DSCN2883.jpg

DSCN2884.jpg

DSCN2885.jpg

DSCN2888.jpg

Brewers unite!! I'm doing the same, but in Texas heat. And doing biermunchers blonde - with a few tweaks. It's great to brew on what is normally a workday.

A little more of a pictorial...
A juicy, frothy Wyeast 1318 London Ale III, waiting patiently next to its future home.
The last addition of Willamette.
Temps just about right on for pitching

DSCN2892.jpg

DSCN2893.jpg

DSCN2896.jpg

Right about 5gals.
Gravity a tad bit lower than expected, still working on my crush I guess: 1.055 OG. Oh, and a well deserved Lite Lager as a reward for my productive day.

DSCN2898.jpg

DSCN2899.jpg

A couple pics of today's session.

image-2212453933.jpg

The eqpt

image-1266369556.jpg

Oktoberfest about to get kegged and today's starter.

Count me in. I unexpectedly got today and tomorrow off to make for an uber long weekend. I did a double decocted Roggenbier in the hot Montana sun. Tomorrow is Vienna lager day. More decoctions! Getting kinda tired actually. Ready to have an easy brew day...:p

I am almost done with my lagers for Oktoberfest. I did an Oktoberfest with Bohemian, a Trad Bock with Bavarian, I'm pitching the Vienna on the Oktoberfest cake with a pack of Wyeast Oktoberfest as well. I may do one more Doppelbock on the Trad Cake with a Munich II mix and pull an Eis Bock from it, then I'm done....Promise:)

Count me in. I unexpectedly got today and tomorrow off to make for an uber long weekend. I did a double decocted Roggenbier in the hot Montana sun. Tomorrow is Vienna lager day. More decoctions! Getting kinda tired actually. Ready to have an easy brew day...:p

I am almost done with my lagers for Oktoberfest. I did an Oktoberfest with Bohemian, a Trad Bock with Bavarian, I'm pitching the Vienna on the Oktoberfest cake with a pack of Wyeast Oktoberfest as well. I may do one more Doppelbock on the Trad Cake with a Munich II mix and pull an Eis Bock from it, then I'm done....Promise:)

Damn that is a hefty schedule! I thought I was busy lol
:mug:

Back