lets see your full Fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bock on the left. Oktoberfest on the right. Its fall!

ForumRunner_20130728_222910.jpg

image-3376158588.jpg

Nukey Brown, Lefse Blonde, Moose Drool clone, Dead Ringer, Waldo Lake, Strawberry/rhubarb wine and Raspberry wine

wow is cold/hot break causing that fermenter on the right to stratify like that or is it something else?

I wondered the same thing myself. After I pitched the yeast starter this happened. It was like this for a good 8 hours before fermentation started. Now it is thoroughly mixed after fermentation became vigorous. I thought it might be the difference in gravity in the wort vs the gravity of the starter.

I wondered the same thing myself. After I pitched the yeast starter this happened. It was like this for a good 8 hours before fermentation started. Now it is thoroughly mixed after fermentation became vigorous. I thought it might be the difference in gravity in the wort vs the gravity of the starter.

I thought you were making a Black and Tan.

10gallons of a citra blonde base. 5 gallons got US-05, and 5 got kolsched with WLP-029. I am probably going to fruit one of them as well just to make them even more different.

IMG_20130818_143520.jpg

image-3355486580.jpg

hop ottin ipa clone bottled
vanilla bourbon porter
founders porter clone
citra amarillo ipa

why are they on buckets. please explain I am interested in this concept.

From what I was told, "keep them off the concrete floor, because it's too cold" My basement is 65*, I never checked the floor temp. Also, I try to keep the glass ones from touching the concrete.

10gallons of a citra blonde base. 5 gallons got US-05, and 5 got kolsched with WLP-029. I am probably going to fruit one of them as well just to make them even more different.

IMG_20130818_143520.jpg

I have since moved the kolsch half of that batch to a ghetto swamp cooler:

IMG_20130820_082522.jpg

Imperial maple porter on the bottom while kegging a Belgian style abbey ale.
image-3598402556.jpg

Two Belgian trippels
Two Blonde Ales
Two Old Ales
One German Alt
One Surly Cynic

Need a bigger house so I can buy more carboys, so I can brew more beer.

100_2846.jpg

id like to thank y'all for making me not feel so bad for having 3 carboys going. feeling a brew day coming on...

My quasi hop slam clone.
Oh why aren't we buddies? :D
Well here's mine...

Currently have 10 gallons of vanilla caramel cream ale finishing up!!
This sounds so delicious. I hate to ask and sound like a ****** canoe, but is this from a kit?
I prefer better bottles because in my experience, I've had some very vigorous fermentations and I think the bottles do a better job as focusing the krausen for expulsion into the blow-off tube.

I've never heard of a properly inserted bung being shot out of a carboy, but you hear about fermentation blowing the lid off of buckets, literally, all the time.
You have me very worried now that my bucket will suddenly explode. I've brewed one batch and not completely without error. Now I have something else to be neurotic about. :eek:

The first pic is my Belgian Golden Strong (Shut De Do). It has finished primary fermentation and is very, very slowly crashing out. The second is my Flanders Red, which just started primary fermentation (after about 36 hrs lag).

The final two pics show what the brew belt is getting me . . . 58°F to about 70°F. I want to build a chamber soon to nail these numbers down (I'd have loved 67°F on the dot for the Flanders).
I looked up the brew belt and it only speaks of heating not cooling. Is this right?
Zipties were my only remedy at the time since I did not have another blow off tube...that IPA blew its load all over the shower walls and ceiling...the Mrs. was nowhere as impressed as I was! :rockin:
Do you have to ensure the airlock is secure all of the time? Is this why blow off tubes seem to be favored?

I started this thread and never expected this many pics. Now I feel bad cause haven't brewed in a month. But soon very soon. Great job guys and gals
It's a great thread. I am even more excited to expand on my brewing.
Yes. I learned about it in Prague.

It means to throw someone out of a window, usually to their death, but sometimes just seriously injured. It happened a bunch in Bohemian history and was an easy way to deal with councilmen and religious leaders they didn't like.
I love the name. If only we can deal with councilmen/women, religious leaders this way, and all other seated undesirables this way!

Figured I'd add mine to the list. Most of the clear carboys are all in experimental sours/wilds in their primary. Kegs are all "secondary"s, which will eventually go on draft. Barrels are both full, saison and a sour. All I wish for was a little more head space, ceiling is about 4" too low.
Drool! I am in awe.

Peanut butter stout going crazy!

Peanut Butter Ballz stout bubbling away nicely!
Do either of you have a recipe for this? Sounds interesting.

HellaNutella Milk Stout's blowoff tube kicked in over night!
Now we totally get what Sponge Bob is up to down there.
American IPA. kegged right after pic was taken, now i have to brew this weekend. empty carboys are unacceptable.
That is an awesome fastback. Do show more pics. :)
Amarillo+Summit IPA and an Oatmeal stout of my own design.
What is wrapped around the carboys?

I don't know what happened to all the beer I had, OK I know, but this batch will be different.
This APA is 34.5lbs of two row and only a half pound of C15. Lots of hops.
Are you fermenting in home depot buckets?
you only have one fermenter?!
After reading this thread, I feel like I am lacking.
Here's my first brew! In the dining room!
That is awesome actually. It seems most first brews are just the kits. Nicely done/

10 gallons of Left Hand Milk Stout clone and 5 gallons of Dogfish Head 90 Minute Clone cold crashing for kegging tomorrow.
Is the Left Hand Milk Stout a kit? How does it compare? That is one of my most favorite milk stouts I've ever had.

That's a lot of quotes, I'm using home depot buckets as grain storage containers. I buy in group buy's twice a year. The bucket lids hold carboys like little cups and it keeps them off the floor.

I LOVE the Left Hand Milk Stout clone. I've brewed it twice in the past 8 months, and its by far the favorite homebrew among my friends. Even the ones who claim they don't like stouts will sit and drink 3 or 4 of these in a sitting...

That's a lot of quotes, I'm using home depot buckets as grain storage containers. I buy in group buy's twice a year. The bucket lids hold carboys like little cups and it keeps them off the floor.
HD buckets are a great idea. I was reading about all grain brewing and I think the buckets will be ideal for storage. Thanks.

I know, a lot of quotes. Had a lot of questions and comments. :eek: I hope it's not terrible that I multi-quoted instead of just continued to hit reply. It wasn't meant to be annoying.
Here is the thread. A lot of people say its better. 1 week into fermentation it tasted dead on. I havent cracked the keg yet.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.

Back