FG Not Quite Reached

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat0304

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My first attempt at a partial mash was the Oaked Imperial Whiskey Stout from AHS. Here's the recipe:

5# Dark LME
5# Munich LME
1# 2-Row Malt
1# Munich Malt
8 oz. Brown Malt
8 oz. Coffee Malt
4 oz. Black Patent Malt
8 oz. Flaked Barley
2 oz. Nugget hops (60 min)
1 oz. Cluster hops (30 min)
1 0z. Willamette hops (15 min)
2.5 oz. Light Toast Whiskey Barrel Oak Chips (in secondary after fermentation completed in primary)
375 mL. Maker's Mark Whisky (in tertiary after desired "oakiness" is achieved in secondary)
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale (Made starter to make 300 billion buddies)

Expected OG: 1.087 (nailed it!)
Expected FG: 1.020 (not there yet)

Brewed on March 3, and has been in primary at ~65* since. I checked the gravity last Sunday (March 19) and yesterday (March 25) and measured 1.024 both times. I was always planning on leaving in primary until April 3, so it still has a little time left.

Has the fermentation completed a little high? Is it worth repitching?

Cheers and many thanks,

Jarod

Shouldn't need to repitch - I'd verify that temperature measurement and, if it's correct, maybe try moving it somewhere a couple degrees warmer and giving it a nice gentle swirl to rouse the yeast. If it doesn't drop a couple more points in the next day or three after doing that, it's not going to.

Also - you're already talking 72.4% attenuation (unless my math is off) - that's pretty darned good, and towards the limit for that yeast strain. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it didn't drop any further. 1.020 would actually be 77% attenuation, which is greater than what Wyeast says that yeast is capable of!

Thanks stratslinger, your answer was right along what I was thinking to do. Although, I hadn't even considered calculating the attenuation or finding the attenuation of the yeast, I just knew I was really close to the expected gravity.

I am sure of the temperature also, every few days I measured the temperature of the beer directly, not the environment. Thanks again, I have very gently stirred the beer and have moved it to a warmer area of the apartment.

Cheers,

Jarod

Latest posts

Back