Sweetening Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunshbox

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been lurking on here for a while and decided to finally ask a question.

I have recently finished my first batch of cider. I oaked it with whiskied french oak chips. I have added the stabilizer to inhibit yeast and am now ready to back-sweeten (as it sits this is some of the driest cider I have ever tasted). I wanted to sweeten it with honey but am not sure how to go about it. Since I have a finished product I am not to keen on the idea of stirring the stuff up. Any ideas on how to get the honey distributed throughout the cider?

I forgot to mention the specifics. 5 gallons of fresh-pressed cider, Lalvin 71B-122 starter, 4 ounces of French oak chips, 2 shots of whiskey (40 Creek). Meant to be a still cider.

Can I assume you racked it and there is minimal sediment? I'd take a little water or a little bit of the cider. Warm it on the stove and mix in the honey. Then pour this into the cider and give it a gentle stir (or swirl if it's in a carboy). You can make a little more honey solution than you think you need. That way you can add it in increments until it tastes good.

It has indeed been racked to a secondary. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be messing it up by string in honey. Thanks!

It will probably fizz as you mix in the honey while it releases the CO2 in solution.
You could always rack it one more time to keep the minimal sediment out of the finished product.

It will probably fizz as you mix in the honey while it releases the CO2 in solution.

?? honey shouldn't affect the gas in solution!
you might leave it in a carboy for a few days after you sweeten to confirm that the stabilizer has stabilized and it hasn't started to ferment the honey

Back