Sam Adam's Boston Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
I tried this beer again last night for the second time ever, as I really didn't like it the first time, remember it being just nasty bitter, not hops bitter but, well I can't describe it but nasty bitter. So I had it again and it was entirely different. It had a citrousy taste to it that I actually liked. Anyone else ever have this with a beer before... try it once and hate it, the next time it's a descent beer?

I also had the honey porter, scotch ale, boston ale, brown ale and whatever else is in that 12 pack of 6 different brews, didn't find one I didn't like.

I agree, I had sam a long time ago in college ('nuff said) and it was exsactly as you described. I've had it again recently and found it to be a nice well rounded beer. I think it might be because my palate is getting used to more bitter beers. I've developed an appreciation for hops :) I thought the change was in me, but it might be because of the change in production at sams, they're a pretty damn big brewery now.

mike

I usually like Sam Adams but this weekend I had one with the same nasty bitterness you describe. Its probably just what happens to the beer when its too old, stored improperly or skunked.

Sam Adams, IMO is a decent beer, but not something I prefer all the time. I've drank my share and find SA not bad. And you can save the bottles. As for the bitterness I haven't found one yet. But to each his own. I still prefer my own any day.

Bosh said:
I usually like Sam Adams but this weekend I had one with the same nasty bitterness you describe. Its probably just what happens to the beer when its too old, stored improperly or skunked.

There is a freshness data on the bottles. If you find a pack that is out of date you can get it replaced by order of Jim Koch.

Latest posts

Back