2nd Batch: Dark Chocolate Cherry Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks delicious. Care to post a recipe? What did you do with the chocolate and extract or real cherries?

Recipe isn't too crazy at all and it's super easy.
It's just a LME and DME with specialty grains.
I actually kind of copied a kit from nothernbrewer.

.5 lb Simpson's Dark Crystal
.5 lb Simpson's Roasted Barley
.5 lb Simpson's Black Malt

3.3lbs GOLD malt syrup
3 lbs. Dark DRY malt extract

1 oz. Northern Brewer hops 60 mins boil
6 oz. bakers dark chocolate 5 mins boil
1 oz. Willamette hops 1 minute boil
1 oz. Fuggles (dry hopping)

Wyeast #1028 London Ale Yeast

4 oz Cherry extract at bottling.

Any more questions just ask.

I would say the chocolate is more pronounced than the cherry. You get an immediate taste of the sweetness of chocolate at the beginning and the final taste is a bit of a sour cherry. The kit I juiced up came with 4 oz of cherry extract flavoring, but I think about 6 oz will be used the next time I make it personally. Both flavors are there, but the cherry is a bit weak.

I guess there's no problem, but I thought that because of the cocoa butter in chocolate( like bakers) that it could cause problems? Anybody know about this? If its a chocolate with low amounts of cocoa butter is it ok?

Baking chocolate usually refers to pure cacao which has minimal amount (53%) of cocoa butter which, according to Wikipedia

Wikipedia said:
Cocoa butter is one of the most stable fats known, containing natural antioxidants that prevent rancidity and give it a storage life of two to five years, making it a good choice for non-food products.

Chocolate that is sold as XX% cacao has more cocoa butter and sugar added to it.

The Drizzle said:
is this the dark cherry stout kit from northern brewer, just with some chocolate added?

It is. I just added some chocolate... along with some Fuggles for dry-hopping.

cyfan964 said:

very cool, rigth after i asked the question i clicked on the ingredients link on teh NB site. this looks like a good one to make and give out as gifts come x-mas time. so hard to resist brewing it now though.......

I found a recipe in a book that has the same ingredients with this exception. Instead of the cherry extract, 5lbs of crushed sour cherries were added immediately after the boil for 15 minutes. Anyone do something like this.

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I believe that this is going to be my next brew and I was curious, did you ever try this again with adding a little bit more cherry extract?

Also, the chocolate that you used, was it Baker's unsweetened chocolate, or was a different variety of Bakers? You added these right near the end of your brew I see?

Thanks for any help you offer up. I'm new to the game, and no one ever said I was super original with my ideas, but I do want to make a Chocolate Cherry Stout that is similar to the one you describe here, I am going to get that NB Dark Cherry Stout kit and roll from there. The one you have in your photo looks so damn tasty. About how long did you age it to arrive at that kind of flavor?

I was gonna do a cherry stout,pretty much like this without the chocolate

I hope that we can get some good info about this beer at some point. I think it does sound like something a lot of my friends and family would enjoy, if it is possible to get some clarification from an experienced brewer, that would be fantastic.

I just put this brew in the fermenter tonight. I added about 22 oz of honey to increase the alcohol and I am not going to dry hop.

Back