Beer tastes bitter halfway through fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcc777

Reaction score
Halfway through fermenting my first homebrew ever, a Cincinnati Pale Ale out of the book "How to Brew". After 7 days of active bubbling, I transferred to a secondary and took a gravity reading and taste. OG was 1.044, now it's 1.0125. I took a taste, and it's pretty bitter. Does this sound normal? Temp has fluctuated between 65 and 75 degrees F in my apartment. Reading was at around 66 degrees F.

Pale Ales are bitter. It will settle down a bit if you manage to let it age some. FYI, you transferred 2-3 weeks sooner than I do.

I know. Throw those instructions away.

First rule of homebrewing: Don't expect your beer to taste right until it's done.

Right now your beer is very green (young). It probably has a lot of suspended yeast and other compounds that are bitter but will eventually settle out.

Leave your beer in the secondary for another 2-3 weeks and then bottle (or keg). Then leave the beer in bottles for 3 weeks at 70 degrees before tasting them. Only then will you know how your beer "tastes".

I recently made an IPA that tastes gross at on week on the bottle, but by 3 weeks is was phenominal.

Also read the stickies in the beginner forum. They will answer a lot of the questions you have now and will have in the future.

Many people now don't bother racking to secondary. They just leave the beer in the primary for 3-4 weeks and then bottle. I've never secondaried a beer yet and they've been good to excellent tasting.

What was the yeast? Regardless, my first two beers, one with dry Munton's and another with Nottingham, both had a really unpleasant taste at the end of fermentation before conditioning time. I guess it could have been described as bitter. EDIT to add here that I mention my first two tasted like that and no others, is only because I've stopped checking gravity so often and now I don't touch anything until it's been in primary at least 3 weeks, so now I probably bypass tasting that yeasty-funk period in the first couple of weeks.

7 days isn't long. Give it time and it will settle out and taste fine.

It can be normal. It could be off-flavors from high fermentation temps (75 means 80 or more in the fermentation bucket). Only time will tell. The tastes change drastically throughout the process.

BTW, always check gravity prior to racking (if you want to rack) to secondary. Check out opinions on this all over the site.

Agree with everything that has been said above.

What kind of hops were use and what were the total IBUs?

Wow, thanks for all the responses everyone. A lot of generous beer lovers out there - this is great. I used 6 AAUs bittering, 5 AAUs finising. They were Yakima Magnum bittering and Cascade finishing. Yeast was Sarfale US-05 dry ale yeast.

Really, leave in primary for 2-3 weeks? I thought sitting on the trub for more than a week would impart off flavors. I'll read the other beginner posts...

It doesn't really matter what a beer tastes like halfway through fermentation, most of mine taste like ****...so I don't bother tasting them at that point. And I suggest to new brewers to do likewise, or else they start threads like this...because it's not halfway through fermentation that is a representation of the finished product....it's after the beer has been carbed and conditioned for about 6 weeks, that is an accurate representation of what a beer tastes like.

Carbonation and conditioning go a long way in a beer's final taste, including hoppiness, taste, aroma, etc. The CO2 lifts the flavors...And bitterness mellows with time.

Read this;

Singljohn hit the nail on the head...The only problem is that you aren't seeing the beer through it's complete process BEFORE calling what is probably just green beer, an off flavor.

It sounds like you are tasting it in the fermenter? If that is the case, do nothing. Because nothing is wrong.

It really is hard to judge a beer until it's been about 6 weeks in the bottle. Just because you taste (or smell) something in primary or secondary DOESN'T mean it will be there when the beer is fully conditioned (that's also the case with kegging too.)

The thing to remember though is that if you are smelling or tasting this during fermentation not to worry. During fermentation all manner of stinky stuff is given off (ask lager brewers about rotten egg/sulphur smells, or Apfelwein makers about "rhino farts,") like we often say, fermentation is often ugly AND stinky and PERFECTLY NORMAL.

It's really only down the line, AFTER the beer has been fermented (and often after it has bottle conditioned even,) that you concern yourself with any flavor issues if they are still there.

I think too many new brewers focus to much on this stuff too early in the beer's journey. And they panic unnecessarily.

A lot of the stuff you smell/taste initially more than likely ends up disappearing either during a long primary/primary & secondary combo, Diacetyl rests and even during bottle conditioning.

If I find a flavor/smell, I usually wait til it's been in the bottle 6 weeks before I try to "diagnose" what went wrong, that way I am sure the beer has passed any window of greenness.

Lagering is a prime example of this. Lager yeast are prone to the production of a lot of byproducts, the most familiar one is sulphur compounds (rhino farts) but in the dark cold of the lagering process, which is at the minimum of a month (I think many homebrewers don't lager long enough) the yeast slowly consumes all those compounds which results in extremely clean tasting beers if done skillfully.

Ales have their own version of this, but it's all the same. Time is your friend.

If you are sampling your beer before you have passed a 'window of greeness" which my experience is about 3-6 weeks in the bottle, then you are more than likely just experiencing an "off flavor" due to the presence of those byproducts (that's what we mean when we say the beer is "green" it's still young and unconditioned.) but once the process is done, over 90% of the time the flavors/smells are gone.

Of the remaining 10%, half of those may still be salvageable through the long time storage that I mention in the Never dump your beer!!! Patience IS a virtue!!! Time heals all things, even beer:

And the remaining 50% of the last 10% are where these tables and lists come into play. To understand what you did wrong, so you can avoid it in the future.

Long story short....I betcha that smell/flavor will be long gone when the beer is carbed and conditioned.

In other words, relax, your beer will be just fine, like 99.5%.

You can find more info on that in here;

Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Just remember it will not be the same beer it is now, and you shouldn't stress what you are tasting right now.

Our beer is more resilient then most new brewers realize, and time can be a big healer. Just read the stories in this thread of mine, and see how many times a beer that someone thought was bad, turned out to be fine weeks later.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/ne...virtue-time-heals-all-things-even-beer-73254/

I would just relax, get the beer carbed and conditioned, and then see if you truly have an issue.

Latest posts

Back