Adding ingredients help balancing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
Ok here's the recipe for a German Altbrier and I'm thinking of adding a pound of German Munich Malt but wanna know if I should add more hops to balance out. Grains: 1lb Weyerman Caramunich II Fermentables: 6lbs Munich Malt syrup. 1lbs Amber dry malt extract. Hops: 1 oz Perle (60min) 1oz Perle (45min) 1oz Hersbrucker (15min)

I'd say it depends; are you partial mashing or just steeping? If the former, I think you'll want to balance it a bit, but with steeping I wouldn't worry about it. What's your intent with the Munich addition?

I wanted to include them to try to make a little more flavor and like thickness if you know what I mean. Should I mash or just steep the grains?

Hm. When in doubt, I opt for a partial mash just because it can give you a better feel for the grain's impact. If you only want a light impact, you could do a short mash (~30-45 minutes) at around 150-153F. If you really want to test the grains out, do 60-90 minutes at around the same temperature, with a dunk sparge afterwards (a la Deathbrewer's tutorial) to get a bit of extra extraction. Then proceed as normal.

I've never worked with Perle or Hersbrucker, so I'm not sure how you would want to balance things with them. What is their AA%?

Back off on the caramunich if you want it to be like the stuff available in the Alstadt of Dusseldorf. I personally only use pils and munich malts in my version.

Back