Help reading water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cms

Reaction score
This is the current water quality report for my town. Most of the text appears to be boilerplate. There are a few tables (for contaminates), but I'm not seeing any information about the additives (chorine/chlorides, fluoride, etc. although fluoride is listed as a contaminate).

I guess I don't know how to read this report and understand what effect it should have on my brewing. Or should I ignore this report and use pH strips or something?

I am not an advanced brewer, so there's very little that I would do with this information besides perhaps decide to use bottled spring water instead. So far, I've been going by the "if your water tastes good at room temp, then it's fine for brewing" rule of thumb and it's fine as far as I can tell - the water tastes good. I guess I'm just curious.

This report is typical of those where the authority reports the minimum it can without getting crossways with EPA. You can try calling the sourcing water agency and asking for an inorganic report or tell them you are doing beer and want to know alkalinity, calcium and magnesium, sulfate, chloride, sodium, nitrate, nitrite, iron, pH.

Or you can send a sample off to Ward Labs for analysis.

Back