Wheat beer 1st attempt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can anybody tell me if they have tried anything like this. I am curious as to what I should expect the flavor to be.

3.3lbs of wheat/barley extract
3.0lbs of dry wheat barley extract
2.0 oz of Mt. hood hop pellets
.05 oz of coriander added 15MIN to flameout
1.0oz sweet orange peel added directly to wort 15MIN to flameout
also added .05oz of the Mt. hood hops about 5 min to flame out.

I came up with this recipe on my own, just kind of messing around with it to see where my brewing skills are at. I used a wheat beer yeast from the local brew shop. added it to the top of the wort let it sit for about 10 Minutes then stirred it all up with the water and wort. I started seeing signs of fermentation in the airlock no more than 3 hours later, is that normal? my last beer took 2 days to see anything in the airlock? However the yeast was more fresh this time.

All thoughts, opinions or whatever would be greatly appreciated:mug:

I just did a real simple wheat beer.
6lbs wheat DME
1 oz Saaz pellets
dry wheat yeast.
10 days primary
14 days secondary with Raz extract.
Just finished bottling about 30 min ago and it's delicious. Must wait till it's carbed! Yours will be more complex though and looks good to me.

Can anybody tell me if they have tried anything like this. I am curious as to what I should expect the flavor to be.

3.3lbs of wheat/barley extract
3.0lbs of dry wheat barley extract
2.0 oz of Mt. hood hop pellets
.05 oz of coriander added 15MIN to flameout
1.0oz sweet orange peel added directly to wort 15MIN to flameout
also added .05oz of the Mt. hood hops about 5 min to flame out.

I came up with this recipe on my own, just kind of messing around with it to see where my brewing skills are at. I used a wheat beer yeast from the local brew shop. added it to the top of the wort let it sit for about 10 Minutes then stirred it all up with the water and wort. I started seeing signs of fermentation in the airlock no more than 3 hours later, is that normal? my last beer took 2 days to see anything in the airlock? However the yeast was more fresh this time.

All thoughts, opinions or whatever would be greatly appreciated:mug:

Looks quite nice. Not sure about that small amount of coriander (never used it so I don't really know how much to use, but 0.05 oz seems quite small). Should be tasty regardless of the coriander though.

.5 ounces and not 0.05? I see Mt Hood at flameout have the same thing...just a couple pellets?

Yeah, I used 1/2 an ounce not .05 My bad miss print that the first time. Have any of you used the mt. hood hops for a wheat beer before? I thought it sounded the best for the flavor I was going for. I will be raking it to the secondary on memorial day. I am really looking forward to it.

0.5 oz sounds much better (on both the coriander and the aroma hops). Sounds like a winner to me. Let us know.

Okay, so I noticed this morning the airlock on the primary pretty much stopped showing signs of fermentation. I took a hyrdo reading and it came out at 1.010 which is I think a good time to put it in the secondary.

I gotta tell ya, I could not be happier with the way it turned out! Don't mean to toot my own horn but i really think I nailed the spices spot on. If you are familiar with pyramid Hefe I think it has a similiar flavor.

However all this may sound great I need some advice on putting wheat beer into a bottle vs. kegging I heard that wheat's generally are a high carb beer....I really just want an excuse to buy a kegging rig.

All Help and ataboys would be greatly appreciated!:mug:

Nicely done. I don't think there's any need to go to a secondary. Just let it sit a few more days in primary to let the yeast finish "cleaning up" and then go straight to bottles or keg.

I've got no experience with kegging so can't help you there, but it sounds like you're gonna buy a kegging system soon so you might as well start with this one.

Thanks for all the input everyone. I am pleased to say that I kegged the wheat beer about 3 days ago. I set the keg at 20 PSI for two days before dropping it to about 5-8 PSI for serving. The beer tast great, I am really happy with the kegging setup I purchased and would definetly recommend to anyone to start kegging if you have not yet. currently my primary and secondary are empty and I am open to all suggestions. however I am only setup for extract brewing!
thanks again.

Latest posts

Back