Pub in Vienna, Salzburg and Prague?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
Hi,
at the end of may/beginning of june, my and SWMBO are going to do a 2 weeks trip in Europe, We arrive at Vienna (~5days), then we go to Salzburg ( ~3 days) and we end up in Prague(~5 days) before going back at Montreal. She almost organized everything we would visit and do, but we didn't decide about where we will eat / drink beers. My part is to find the best beer places in these towns (which is the funniest part) and to understand how the train system works in Prague. I'll do the last part later on.

Do you guys recommend anything at these towns? Which pubs serves incredibly good beers? Or good experience? Any beers recommendation I could buy?

I know of U Fleků in Prague, which will probably be one of the place I'll go. But, anything else?

Hi,
at the end of may/beginning of june, my and SWMBO are going to do a 2 weeks trip in Europe, We arrive at Vienna (~5days), then we go to Salzburg ( ~3 days) and we end up in Prague(~5 days) before going back at Montreal. She almost organized everything we would visit and do, but we didn't decide about where we will eat / drink beers. My part is to find the best beer places in these towns (which is the funniest part) and to understand how the train system works in Prague. I'll do the last part later on.

Do you guys recommend anything at these towns? Which pubs serves incredibly good beers? Or good experience? Any beers recommendation I could buy?

I know of U Fleků in Prague, which will probably be one of the place I'll go. But, anything else?

Ok, in Salzburg there is this massive castle up on a hill, you can't miss it, it is like the focal point of the whole town... well 1/2 way up that hill is the (and I'm going to spell this wrong but it sounds like) Shteegalbau, a brewery that has nightly or weekly beer events. You go there, drink like a mad man all the time while guys and gals dance in leiderhosen for you. So that's one brewery you shouldn't miss... 2nd around the corner (and down the hill) is a huge beer hall where you get ceramic steins filled all night long... beware - they eat radishes with their brew. Not that you might not like that but it is a bit different.

Btw, if you like cheese there is an awesome cheese shop in the heart of the town. When I was in my early 20's (years ago) I stood outside that shop and was taken by a beautiful fraulien behind the cheese counter. The smell of the store was SO INTENSE that her beauty was not enough to make me go in there and talk to her. I mean my eyes were watering as I neared the door (I figured she would have thought me a wuss -what with my hand pinching my nose while I tried to talk to her) so I had to just walk away :)

I was in town for music, Mozart in particular but I'll tell you it is one of the most amazing places I've ever been too and that was because of the beer, food, and music. Oh, definitely go up to that castle/fort up on the hill - there are cloistered nuns in one part of it and some of them have never gone outside for decades. They sit in there and chant all day and you can go in and listen to them, very worth it... Then there is a nice courtyard up on the top of the castle/fort and you can eat and drink more beer there. You can see the whole countryside from there too so it's really worth having a beer or two up there :)

Here's the Castle:

Festung_Hohensalzburg.jpg

Oh, and here is the link for the pubs there :)

http://www.salzburg.info/en/gastronomy/beer_pubs_gardens.htm

I spent a year in Vienna and traveled to both Prague and Salzburg. I can't think of any pubs off hand known for special brews but I know of a few bars that are a good time. If you're looking for a place for dinner and a drink in Vienna, "Centimeter" is a good spot. There are 4-5 locations throughout the city and they food there is cheap but really good. They also serve tons of good beer but nothing I don't think you couldn't find at other places. I would also suggest getting lunch or dinner at one of the Doenner stands that are all over city. If you haven't had it, it's basically a Turkish version of a Gyro, but 10x better. I crave it all the time. There's also a place on the south side of the ring across from the park called Billabong. Great people and good grilled food. They serve the normal import beers (normal for over there, you'll understand). In Salzburg, you could check out the Stiegl brewery. I think the tour is free and there is a pub/restaurant at the end and they give you a few free beers (.33 ltr). It's a good time. I was too hammered in Prague to remember where to go. I went to some good bars but have no idea where they are or what they're called. Vienna is an incredibly special place. Wish I were going with you. Safe travels.

Shteegalbau, a brewery that has nightly or weekly beer events. You go there, drink like a mad man all the time while guys and gals dance in leiderhosen for you. So that's one brewery you shouldn't miss...

http://www.salzburg.info/en/gastronomy/beer_pubs_gardens.htm

That seems like a reallly intriguing experience. However, I'm trying to figure out the name of this brewery in the link you gave... Could this be the Brewery Stiegl-Brauwelt? http://www.stiegl.at/de/brauwelt/ ?

And thank you for the tip about the cheese shop. I happen to like cheese a lot. Do you remember the name? Sorry -- I've never went to Salzburg, I know it's small, but I guess it's hard to find it without the address...

Thanks, guys! :mug:

In Prague check out the Strahov Monastic Brewery. It's up by the castle (about a 1/2 mile west) in the Strahov Monastery.

http://www.klasterni-pivovar.cz/en/brewery/beer-menu/

And take a look around the monastery. There's a great natural science collection of specimens collected and preserved centuries ago in the hallway between a couple of the libraries.

While in the Czech Republic my wife and I really enjoyed drinking Krusovice Cerne. The stuff I've had in the bottle doesn't compare to what you get on tap over there. Most of the restaurants barely had a sign with their name on it. There would just be a large sign advertising whatever beer it was they serve. We'd usually pick restaurants while out and about by the ones with the Krusovice sign out front.

That seems like a reallly intriguing experience. However, I'm trying to figure out the name of this brewery in the link you gave... Could this be the Brewery Stiegl-Brauwelt? http://www.stiegl.at/de/brauwelt/ ?

And thank you for the tip about the cheese shop. I happen to like cheese a lot. Do you remember the name? Sorry -- I've never went to Salzburg, I know it's small, but I guess it's hard to find it without the address...

Thanks, guys! :mug:

That's the place!! It's all coming back to me... (went in 1983)

Back