Look out for flying glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmaa

Reaction score
When into the dungeon the other day to get some beer, there was glass shrapnel in ever corner of the room.

The dungeon is a 2x3.5 meter room under out mud room, concrete walls insulated ceiling and patio stone floor over gravel.

A couple of bottles had disintegrated with enough force to hurl pieces the diagonal length of the room. I could understand if this was freshly bottle suds, however the date on the bottles was 2009.03.17. The brew has been aging for about 5 months.:confused:

I succeeded in rescuing the remaining few bottles, damn that's good beer

I had one explode in my car. Luckily I was not in the car at the time. A friend gave me an 18 oz bottle of his Fat Tire clone. I left it in the car for about two hours while it was parked in the garage. When I returned to retrieve it, the bottle was gone. It took me about an hour to find out where all of the beer went to. LOL

I removed the bottom of the back seat. It was basically a bench seat spanning with width of the car. When I pulled it out, there was the 18 oz of beer laying on the shelf that makes up the back seat.

I took the bench seat bottom to an upholstery shop. They pulled off the leather and washed the padding. After a week of drying and reassembly, I got the seat back but my car still smelled like malt for about another month.

A couple of bottles had disintegrated with enough force to hurl pieces the diagonal length of the room. I could understand if this was freshly bottle suds, however the date on the bottles was 2009.03.17. The brew has been aging for about 5 months.
Sounds like an infection.

my wife, god bless her heart, called me when i was working out of town, well she called at about three in the morning saying that she thought someone was shooting at our house, we live on a block with three cops so i thought this would be unlikely so i asked her to check the back kitchen cabinets and the glass had impaled the inner walls of the cabinets so i told her to put some towels down and i would clean it up the next day when i got back, sure enough shrapnal everway and had very good penetration, after three months of conditioning .:ban:now i know how to make a homemade grendade:rockin:

I have a theory as to the cause.
The beer was brewed at about 16 degrees C and bottled at 5 Pluto, no priming sugar added. Then another 2 weeks at the same temperature for the fermentation to finish At this lower temperature a lot more CO2 is in solution during the primary fermentation. You can actually see the air bubbles as the bottles were filled.
The temperature in the dungeon got quite high this last few weeks. I think that the CO2 came out of solution causing the bottles to exploded.

A cold beer from this batch will gas for a good 10 minute and produces an firm head long lasting head.

The temperature in the dungeon got quite high this last few weeks. I think that the CO2 came out of solution causing the bottles to exploded.

99% chance this was the cause.

Back