How long a starter for washed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
I wanted to brew this weekend and forgot to make a starter until this morning. This will be the first time I'm using washed yeast for a batch. I'd say there was about a 1/8-1/4" of yeast on the bottom of a pint mason jar. How long should I have the starter going to make enough yeastie babies for my 5 gallon batch?

I'm using some kolsch yeast today that I washed last May. I got my starter going on Thursday evening and it just started to krausen this morning. If your yeast wasn't that old, I would think washed yeast should take off pretty quickly.

You have almost 1/4" from the bottom, and if you have used the yeast recently it will start faster.

I would pitch it as is, or add just a small amount of starter -- that would get the yeast working. But keep it a small enough amount that you can pour the whole contents in the wort, because you don't have enough time to wait for all the yeast to flocculate into a nice cake.

In a related matter... I combined all my collected washed yeast in one pint Masons Jar. It's roughly 1/4 full.

I feel like that is an adequate amount to pitch and it wouldn't need a starter (just get it to room temp).

True?

Back