Bottle filler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsonbrew

Reaction score
I just received a new counter pressure bottle filler and discovered that i love it! I was wondering if i can use to force carbonate a growler that has gone flat that i never hot around to drink. I know what a sin that is but don't want to double the sin by purring it out if i can recarbonate it.

I just received a new counter pressure bottle filler and discovered that i love it! I was wondering if i can use to force carbonate a growler that has gone flat that i never hot around to drink. I know what a sin that is but don't want to double the sin by purring it out if i can recarbonate it.

I don't know how you'd do that. The bottle filler takes carbonated beer and fills a bottle under pressure so it doesn't lose carbonation. It wouldn't carb up a flat beer, unless I'm missing something.

The best way to carb up flat beer is with a "carbonator cap" but never on a glass growler. It would work on a soda bottle, though.

I thought I have read somewhere where people conditioned and carbed up their beers in growlers and that growlers are built to hold pressure. I obviously would use a low pressure, no more than probably 10 to 12 lbs and take it slow. What about carb caps in a growlers?

I thought I have read somewhere where people conditioned and carbed up their beers in growlers and that growlers are built to hold pressure. I obviously would use a low pressure, no more than probably 10 to 12 lbs and take it slow. What about carb caps in a growlers?

1. You can NOT naturally carb or force carb in a growler, there is a high risk of it exploding. There is a variable as to what the growler is made of. If the growler is stainless steel it may be able to take the pressure but as a rule glass growlers are NOT good for carbing that way.

2.A bottling wand will not carb up flat beer. It is only to bottle already carbed up beer, usually from a keg. The counter pressure helps the beer stay carbonated during the transfer so you do not end up with flat beer from the transfer and capping.

3. A carbonator cap is not designed to be used on a glass growler for the same reason listed above in "1", they attach to soda bottles (do not use rootbeer). You can buy them from a LHBS or online retailer and there is a DIY if you search for it.

Zamial said:
1. You SHOULD NOT naturally carb or force carb in a growler, there is a high risk of it exploding. There is a variable as to what the growler is made of. If the growler is stainless steel it may be able to take the pressure but as a rule glass growlers are NOT good for carbing that way.

Fixed that for ya :). It is certainly possible to naturally carb in a growler: done it a dozen times without problems. Whether it's advisable is a whole different question.

Most growlers are not built for pressure as regular bottles are. I'd be very concerned if you adapted a carbonator/counter pressure filler of any type to pressurize a growler.

HopSong said:
Most growlers are not built for pressure as regular bottles are. I'd be very concerned if you adapted a carbonator/counter pressure filler of any type to pressurize a growler.

I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems odd to me that a vessel seemingly purpose-made for storing a carbonated beverage would be "not built for pressure"?

Most growlers are meant for already carbonated beverage. When you force carb the pressure is much greater due to the fact that the co2 has to be forced/absorbed into the beer.

Back