Wedding Brew Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DZzero15

Reaction score
I'm getting married in September, and am brewing for my wedding (100 people or so). I think have narrowed the beer list down:

1. Belgian Dubbel (10 gallons) - A maltier stronger beer with mass-appeal.

2. Edwort's Apfelwein (10 gallons) - Seasonal offering with a lot of kick!

3. 10 gallons of one of the following:
Option 1: Kolsch
Option 2: Fat Tire Clone (Belgian Amber)
Option 3: Centennial Blonde Partial Grain (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/index55.html)

The idea with the third option is to have a lighter beer that still has appeal for the connoisseurs. Any other thoughts welcome!

Cheers,
:mug:

I like option three. Unless you know that your guests really do enjoy craft/homebrew beer that option allows for a broader selection. If you are attempting to introduce ppl to good beer color may be an issue. Also, bigger beers are not necessarily, "session" beers. What do you want your guests to do? Dance and be active all evening? Also, the bigger the beer, the less one can safely drink and drive.

Just sayin.

I like option three. Unless you know that your guests really do enjoy craft/homebrew beer that option allows for a broader selection. If you are attempting to introduce ppl to good beer color may be an issue. Also, bigger beers are not necessarily, "session" beers. What do you want your guests to do? Dance and be active all evening? Also, the bigger the beer, the less one can safely drink and drive.

Just sayin.

+1 on all counts. People tend to party all night at weddings -- that certainly wouldn't be the case with all strong ales on tap.

I would like a darker option. I brewed for my sister's wedding and the stout was gone right quick. I think most people enjoy a proper chocolate milk stout...that's just my opinion though...

I brewed Ed Wort's Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale for my friends wedding and it went over really good..

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks everyone. However, the idea is that I'm going to brew the dubbel, apfelwein, AND something from #3. 10 gallons each :D

I was just about to say that 10 gallons would only last about 15 minutes at the weddings that I've been to with 100 people.

I'd say fat tire clone/ some other amber ale. Great tasting brew that lots of people who may not love home/craft brews will enjoy.

Thanks everyone. However, the idea is that I'm going to brew the dubbel, apfelwein, AND something from #3. 10 gallons each :D

I'm willing to bet that people will drink most of whatever you pick from #3; and you will be bring home almost full kegs of #1 and #2. The amount of full cups of #1 and #2 laying around after the reception will break your heart.

My assumption is you have the "normal" beer drinker attending your wedding. Even as someone who appreciates craft-beer, I'm probably steer clear of the #1 and #2.

My opinion is you skip #1 and #2 entirely, and provide more of #3 instead.

Got married last May. Brewed up 10 gallons of Kolsch (2 batches) and it was a hit! It's light enough for "normals" to really enjoy and "exotic" enough for people interested in beers to get into.

Keep in mind not all of your guests will be 21+ though. It might reduce the amount of beers you have to make. :)

I would do the Kolsch or the Centenial Blonde, something lighter for the mortals.
Better yet, you should ask your SWMBO

Following. I am ALSO getting married in Sept, with 100 People, and doing all the brewing....WEIRD:mug:

Congrats man! We need to team up and compare notes. I'll have a wonky schedule so you can help keep me on the ball. Any ideas about what you will be brewing?

Following. I am ALSO getting married in Sept, with 100 People, and doing all the brewing....WEIRD:mug:

I'm willing to bet that people will drink most of whatever you pick from #3; and you will be bring home almost full kegs of #1 and #2. The amount of full cups of #1 and #2 laying around after the reception will break your heart.

My assumption is you have the "normal" beer drinker attending your wedding. Even as someone who appreciates craft-beer, I'm probably steer clear of the #1 and #2.

You speak truth. However, i think I have enough beer drinkers where the dubbel will go fast so I'm still going to give a 5 gallon batch a shot. The apfelwein I'll keep since it only needs to be bottled and it costs less than $30 to make. I think I'll do 10 gallons of Belgian amber and centennial blonde (keeping with a belgianesque theme). I plan to do a test brew of these two ASAP and then will swap one out for kolsch if I feel like either don't turn out.

I would drop the apfelwein and make something along the lines of Sierra Nevada pale ale, then choose option three for the third beer, or even an American wheat beer (even tho I generally don't like the style, lots of people do). Another option would be a duvel clone.

I would say Kolsch or an American Hefeweizen. Both of those beers will be a hit and your "I only drink Bud Light" drinkers will be shocked at how good real beer tastes. Either way Congrats! :mug:

You speak truth. However, i think I have enough beer drinkers where the dubbel will go fast so I'm still going to give a 5 gallon batch a shot. The apfelwein I'll keep since it only needs to be bottled and it costs less than $30 to make. I think I'll do 10 gallons of Belgian amber and centennial blonde (keeping with a belgianesque theme). I plan to do a test brew of these two ASAP and then will swap one out for kolsch if I feel like either don't turn out.

You know that I'm right, but you are going to do what you want anyway. Fair enough. congratulations!

I would lean towards lighter, more palatable-for-the-masses, brews. I make beer all the time for friends' parties. Through trial and error, I have discovered that lighter-colored beers are by far more popular. Things like hefeweizens, wits (yes, wits - people like them), kolschs, golden ales, etc. are wildly popular. Oddly, I believe that non-craft brew drinkers make up their minds first (and largely) with their eyes. If a beer is light color, they try it with a positive outlook. A darker-colored beer is tried with a pessimistic view.

Just sayin'. :tank:

Kolsch for sure. I have yet to find someone that doesn't like my homebrew Kolsch. Then I would do a wheat beer or maybe a Patersbier if you wanted to go Belgian. And then if you wanted to get a darker or hoppier brew, a modest porter (1.05 OG) or american pale ale.

I love dubbel and apfelwein, but I don't see them as big hits at a wedding. This advice is worth exactly 2 pennies.

First off, Congrats to you and your bride! Last summer/fall I had the honor of brewing the beverages for my brother-in-laws rehearsal dinner. Two of the three were request by the bride and groom. The bride suffers from Celiac disease and is the reason I first brewed Ed's Apfelwein so I always have 10-15 gallons on hand so that was easy.

The groom asked for me to brew Yoopers' Cal Common, he had had it a number of times in the past, it's one of his favorites and it has always been a crowd pleaser (Thanks Yoop!). As for the third I brewed BM's Cream of Three Crops it is a great warm weather selection that beer nerds and non beer nerds enjoy.

We had 5 gallons of each for 40-50 guests. The only thing remaining at the end of about 4-5 hours was 2 gallons of Apfelwein that was quickly bottled and given to the bride and her sister to smuggle into the catered reception.

I'm getting married in September, and am brewing for my wedding (100 people or so). I think have narrowed the beer list down:

1. Belgian Dubbel (10 gallons) - A maltier stronger beer with mass-appeal.
Great beer, I would be surprised if your guests consume 5 gallons.

2. Edwort's Apfelwein (10 gallons) - Seasonal offering with a lot of kick!
Good option for non beer drinkers/wine drinkers. Just a word of caution a Solo cup or two of %8+ Apfelwein could spell trouble for the less experienced non hombrewer.

3. 10 gallons of one of the following:
Option 1: Kolsch
Option 2: Fat Tire Clone (Belgian Amber)
Option 3: Centennial Blonde Partial Grain (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/centennial-blonde-simple-4-all-grain-5-10-gall-42841/index55.html)
I would suggest 10 gallons of one of the gateway brews Kolsh, BM's cent blond, cream of three crops or EdWorts Haus Pale Ale

The idea with the third option is to have a lighter beer that still has appeal for the connoisseurs. Any other thoughts welcome!

Cheers,
:mug:

I did a Kolsch recently and everyone that drinks BMC enjoyed the Kolsch. Some even said they loved it. Congrats and good luck.

Back