Airlock Question....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cam0110

Reaction score
It's been exactly 25 hours of fermentation. Airlock has a yellow(beerish) color half way up and is letting this yellow (beerish) liquid out of top and is leaking on lid.. Not a lot though!!! As its doing this, its bubling. Is this normal.......Thanks in advance...............

Sounds like you got yourself an active fermentation. I'm assuming you are using a bucket (with a carboy you could tell). If you have the tubing you can setup a blowoff hose into a bucket of sanitized water until the fermentation slows down.

Look into a setup similar to this.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMiW-625S8o&feature=related]YouTube - Belgian Style Ale - blow off tube & krausen[/ame]

Yeah, you might want to go ahead and install a blowoff tube before it gets worse. Otherwise, you could pop out your airlock and splatter everywhere. Believe me, it happened to me last week.

It happens to all of us at one time or another...no worries. Just clean it and sanitize the area and the airlock.

(having a spray bottle of sanitizer handy is a good thing for situations like this.)

And maybe rig up a blowoff tube.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

The first time I did it, I grabbed my bottling wand hose, and made a small slit in the end to force it onto the center post...

Also cutting off the little criss-cross piece on the bottom of the airlock is a good thing to do as well...

I would install a blowoff tube ASAP. The foam should sink back into the beer within a few days, then simply put the airlock back on.

I would also store the beer in an area where if it does explode you can clean up easyily. Luckily I had my last batch in the pantry because I was too lazy to move it to the basement when it went off. Strawberries and beer everywhere. It took me a good month to find all the pieces to my airlock and I still find strawberry chunks stuck to things.

Back