Framing in a window A/C unit in a wall tips needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Until my roofer is ready, I need to start working on the inside of the brewhaus. To make it a bit more comfortable, I need to install my A/C unit.

My studs are 16" OC. Any tips on cutting the hole, framing it out and providing some kind of support outside for a 10K BTU A/C Unit?

Thanks!

I have wall units in my house; they were put there by the guy who lived here before us. In one way, they're great, in that they don't hog a window. But try to find a new one that's as big as the now worn out, totally out of date unit you're taking out of your wall...smaller is not always better!

I know what you mean. It's almost better to buy TWO of whatever unit you're installing and save the other one for when you need to replace it.

That's why I bought 2 of the 5K BTU units for the cold room. I have the spare already.

That's why I bought 2 of the 5K BTU units for the cold room. I have the spare already.

It must be nice to be independently wealthy. :D

Hammer in a couple pieces of 2x4 horizontally to support the weight, then hammer in a couple more vertically if you need to. I'm guessing that you'll have to rip a section of one of the wall studs out - either that or you found some really small A/C units.

i would always make the hole bigger then you need it and frame down. so get the size for biggest one you find then frame for the smaller one that way yuo can reframe and increase size later if needed

That's a decent point there. Perhaps framing it oversized by exactly 3/4" would work. Just fill that in with some 1x4 material and use oversized trim on the inside and outside to cover it. If you need to downsize later, you can pull that stuff out and shim as necessary.

That's a decent point there. Perhaps framing it oversized by exactly 3/4" would work. Just fill that in with some 1x4 material and use oversized trim on the inside and outside to cover it. If you need to downsize later, you can pull that stuff out and shim as necessary.

Good point. I like using the 1x4 material that can be removed if needed. Thanks ya'll

well the idea would be to shim for now and if you find you have up upsize you can have it already made for the larger size. id measure the largest size and frame for the largest size for the entire shed/guest house ;-) dont cut the siding then frame the smaller side inside of it and cut your hole. so say you would need 11000 btu then measure or find the sizing for 11000 btu for the entire building. frame the opening for that then inside of that frame again for the smaller unit. since there wont be so much weight that you have to make it beefy you can frame simple. I have also been thinking about insulation. id add to the studs at least 2" to get the total depth to 6" and use batting for that. tyvek the room as well to keep infiltration to a minimum. when you do your floor figure a way for a floor drain. what size walk in are you thinking?

Back