I'm fat because I homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I replaced all my sodas with LaCroix canned sparkling water.

I now drink only 4 things:

LaCroix, Coffee, red wine with good steak, and beer

I eliminated about 1500 calories a week from my diet by avoiding sodas. Those are easy calories to give up, too.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Nothing can make running fun.

Ok well maybe not when your 237lbs anyway

Well...... maybe a homebrew on the tread mill...... or better yet hanging from a stick thats strapped to your head to you're head.

Seriously though, the upside is that the heavier you are, the more calories you burn over a shorter run. I can do about 400 calories in just under two miles. Still i blame my desk bound lifestyle and not beer for my fat assery.

MikeFlynn74 said:
Id have to disagree with #3- protein and carbs should be between 30/70 or 40/60- If you are being active. To low carbs makes for feeling like ****.

Diet sodas have a good amount of sodium-

I have to disagree with you! HA! I'm sure you're thinking you need the carbs in a diet to provide the quicker energy. Well truth is I left something out of my list, eat smaller meals every 2-3 hours. By doing this you eliminate the necessity of higher carb meals.

fwiw I'm talking about more of a training rather than a maintenance diet. I know if you're in the military and you're training hard it's good to carb up. Hard physical exercise burns SO many calories, you need the energy. I approached this thread as more of a what can I do... Homebrew is making me fat? The reason the atkins and miami beach style diets work for people who don't do one ounce of physical activity is because it is IMPOSSIBLE for the body to convert protein in to stored fat. Thus someone can eat 1/2 lb bacon, 6 eggs, a 12 oz steak, 1/2 lb green beans, and 2 chicken breast every day can lose weight. Why? Because once the body uses the available protein supplied in all that food above (not sure of how long that window is open, a couple of hours I think?) the body has to pull calories out from stored fat.... thus someone consuming 4500 calories a day is losing weight without lifting a finger because the body can't synthasize all those calories into stored fat.

Just for laughs! When Arnold was training and winning Mr. Olympians his normal meal when he ate out was 2 steaks and a dozen eggs! Not while he was cutting weight, but during mass building cycles. Freakish! Also the current Mr Olympia, Jay Cutler, is about 5'-11" maybe 6' and has a competition weight of about 285 lbs. According to government statistics he's obese.... even with 6% body fat! Silly government....

Schlante,
Phillip

Cutting out pop -- it's what it's called, pop, not soda :D -- is probably the single greatest thing I did to help lose weight. Now I'm to the point where it's far too sweet for me to like. If I want a carbonated beverage, I've got beer :)

Beer and cycling are the two greatest things in life. The sooner you learn that the happier and lighter you will be.

fwiw I'm talking about more of a training rather than a maintenance diet.

A training diet would have a lot more calories than maintaining. Especially complex carbs that are essential for muscle growth.

http://www.building-muscle101.com/body-building-recipes.html

from the above link
A muscle building diet will consist of 20% to 30% protein, 55% to 65% carbohydrates and 15% to 25% fat. This means that each body building recipe will include the above nutritional percentages.

Also the current Mr Olympia, Jay Cutler, is about 5'-11" maybe 6' and has a competition weight of about 285 lbs. According to government statistics he's obese.... even with 6% body fat! Silly government....

Jay Cutler 2006 O contest at a claimed weight of 286 pounds with 3% bodyfat. He is 5'9".

He should have lost to Victor Martinez.

I dont know why I even bother arguing this point- Im happy I know what work and keeps me healthy and happy.

I haven't been brewing too long, but I know that I drink more beer now than I did prior to homebrewing. This stuff is pretty tatsy. I play hockey pretty much year round, though only once a week through most of the summer. I ref 6 to 8 hockey games a weekend during the winter months and have just gotten pulled into reffing summer soccer leagues, so I'm forcing myself to keep active year round. I haven't gained, but I haven't lost either. I was hoping to drop once I started running for soccer, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen. Usually one pint a day during the week is all I take in, but it tends to get a bit higher on weekends. If I can maintain, I can live with it.

You could always try working a little harder.
Yeah, true; for me, working at all would be working harder. But the other option is we all just continue to live with our illusions, since we're all gonna fail the hundred year test, anyway.

Rick

Yeah, true; for me, working at all would be working harder. But the other option is we all just continue to live with our illusions, since we're all gonna fail the hundred year test, anyway.

No doubt- Much more of this Chow hall garbage and I wont live to see 40

MikeFlynn74 said:
A training diet would have a lot more calories than maintaining. Especially complex carbs that are essential for muscle growth.

http://www.building-muscle101.com/body-building-recipes.html

from the above link
A muscle building diet will consist of 20% to 30% protein, 55% to 65% carbohydrates and 15% to 25% fat. This means that each body building recipe will include the above nutritional percentages.

Jay Cutler 2006 O contest at a claimed weight of 286 pounds with 3% bodyfat. He is 5'9".

He should have lost to Victor Martinez.

I dont know why I even bother arguing this point- Im happy I know what work and keeps me healthy and happy.

First I didn't know we were "arguing"... since we are I'd better get mad!!! :D Let my roid rage kick in! Yes you're right about his height, I had forgot just how short he is. Most successful bodybuilders are which is what makes men like Arnold and Lee Haney so truely amazing!

I do strongly disagree with you about the % of protein vs carbs in a diet for someone in a mass building cycle. Fact is that people on the "gear" eat several hundred grams of protein in order to achieve and maintain anabolic synthesis. Translation anabolic steroids simply boost testosterone levels a few hundred percent. In order to use the synthesizing power of this boosted testo. level one must give the body protein to feed on, this is why when in a mass building cycle while on the gear roid users are eating protein shakes and meal replacement shakes to the tune of 400+ grams of protein per a day. Keep in mind the average meal replacement shake contains 50+ grams of protein and 20 grams of carbs

Why protein? Because muscles are made up of 75% water, 20% protein, and 5% carbs, minerals, fats etc. What's this means is that when someone works out they are tearing muscles, the building happens when proteins are synthasized to repair the muscles. Extra testosterone "super sizes" this process which is why roid heads use steroids.

from bodybuilding.com "Meal replacements are pre-packaged powdered drink mixes that you mix with water, milk, or juice and then drink in the place of a meal. They are convenient, inexpensive, and most taste pretty good. For optimum fat-burning and muscle-building results, we need to consume a high-protein, moderate-carb, low-fat meal about every three to four hours.

This equals approximately five to six meals per day. So, replace two or three of your whole food meals with meal replacements and you will drastically start cutting out unneeded calories, calories that can add up and, if not burned off, be stored as body fat."

Also from a really cheesy commercial website www.build-muscle-and-burn-fat.com/protein-facts.html

"Protein Fact: Your body uses protein to build, repair and maintain almost all of the tissue in your body. This includes muscle."

"Protein is the building block of muscle. Protein provides the essential support that your body needs to gain muscle and lose fat. It is the right tool to guarantee that your muscle building and fat loss processes are as "profitable" as possible."
"Protein Fact: Protein consists of amino acids. When we digest protein, the protein is broken down into its amino acid components. These amino acids then enter the bloodstream. Once there, your body reassembles them as proteins for various uses such as tissue repair and muscle building and maintenance."

"Protein is harder for your body to digest than fat or carbohydrates. It requires more energy for your body to digest protein. Therefore, you burn more calories with protein.
This means that if two people eat 2000 calories per day, the one with a higher protein intake will have a higher metabolism."

Yes carbs are important for energy if you are fighting a war, running a marathon, or participating in a soccer match. But in terms of body morphing diet and exercise philosophy they have thier place just below Protein, vinamins & minerals, water, and supplements such as creatin and NO2.

Your honor I rest my case! :mug:

I do believe we/I have steered this fun little "homebrewing makes me fat" discussion off course.... gotta love the internet.

Schlante,
Phillip

sigh.....

Well I got to 240 around 10% by my method.

So I wonder what Im doing wrong.

Translation anabolic steroids simply boost testosterone levels a few hundred percent.

Entirely wrong. But thats a COMPLETELY different discussion

Most of my problem is the fact that I drink a glass or 2 before bed.

Perhaps I should switch to some breakfast brew. Maybe a tripel with my toast? :mug:

Ill just blame my weight on my homebrew. except that I give more of it away then I drink.

Arneba28 said:
Ill just blame my weight on my homebrew. except that I give more of it away then I drink.

If you gave it all away, you'd have no issues.:cross:

MikeFlynn74 said:
sigh.....

Well I got to 240 around 10% by my method.

So I wonder what Im doing wrong.

Entirely wrong. But thats a COMPLETELY different discussion

I understand that there A LOT more too it than that, but it's as simple as I cared to put it. Most steroids are not a synthetic testosterone (as most people I've discussed it with seem to believe), they're a harmone which causes the body to generate more testosterone. I know that doesn't even scratch the surface.

As for what works for you, I'm not suggesting you change. As for me I'm not happy with my body so I decided to do something about it and I'm going about it with an aggresive diet and exercise plan!

I'm just putting forth the accepted principals by which modern bodybuilding is pursued. It's the same principal that makes things like the atkins and miami beach diet work (by work I mean lose weight) even with NO exercise what so ever.

I think everyone on here can agree that we should all partake in carbohydrate consumption via good ole Bier! We agree on that much I'm sure!

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps. Food for thought.... I for one believe that the majority of professional FB players, upwards of 80% of MMA fighters, and 100% of top level professional bodybuilders are on the juice!

100% of top level professional bodybuilders are on the juice!

Yes they are- reason for that is thats its far far safer than the alternatives.

Football players- not so much as they get tested quite often and randomly. 99% of all AAS are detectable for 27 days or longer. Some over 2 years.

I'm 5'9" and have weighed around 130 pounds since I was about 19 (I'm 23 now). But over the past year, I've put on 10 pounds. That could be from living in an apartment instead of a dorm and having a kitchen (I love to cook as well), but it may be that it's way less dangerous to drink beer in an apartment than it is to drink it in a dorm.

So, I've gained weight not weight from homebrew, but definitely from beer and/or poor diet.

Back