Kern Citra DIPA worth using my citra?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danio

Reaction score
Hi all - I have about 10oz of Citra in my freezer. I was thinking about brewing the CYBI recipe I found on beersmith recipes recently. My question, though, is the beer in the same category as a pliny, hop stoopid, port brew IPA, etc? Or is it more an IPA for non-IPA lovers. I read one review that said it reminded them of a sweet fruit drink, which doesn't really sound like the hoppy, bittery goodness that I normally love...

Also, if I do brew it, any recommendations on treating 100% RO water for it? High on the gypsum?

Cheers!

Dan

I haven't had it but listened to that episode and will try it at some point. Have you brewed a Zombie Dust clone? I guess if I only had 10oz and not getting more I would brew a ZD and then use the balance of Citra in something else. Although a IIPA will last a little longer in my keg than a IPA. Seems most people are using Citra in a hop burst, not so much in a super bitter brew.

I have had the beer from the brewery, and I have had Tasty's version of it from him (by sheer luck I ran into him at a brewpub in Concord before they even recorded the CYBI show, he had just bottled it and I was one the first to taste it!). I have also brewed it.

Bottom line is this. It's a delicious IPA, but it's citra. Try knee deep brewing's Citra Pale if you can find it and imagine twice as much of that hop. If you know you like Citra, I know you'll like this beer. I got a silver medal with it last summer.

Edit, feel free to PM me if I can help in anyway...but I'll sub this thread and keep an eye on it.

FYI - Citra is a hop for fruity hop juice lovers. Nothing wrong with that. I enjoy those on occasion.

Kern Citra is definitely hoppy, just not like Pliny or Sculpin. You need some Amarillo though... Citra & Amarillo are like peas & carrots.

Thanks for the great feedback, guys! Cool that you had Tasty's version, jbay :)

I've used Citra a lot in things like torpedo clones, but usually as an aroma hop. Not sure I'd love it as a full on flavor + aroma. I'll try and track down a Citra beer, I think I saw one in Coeur d'Alene when I was up there.

I'm going for a Georgetown Lucille clone, then, since I also have some Simcoe. Cascade will have to sub for Amarillo in that one, sadly. I need more of that stuff! Mash water heating now.

Thanks again for the quick advice.

Thanks for the great feedback, guys! Cool that you had Tasty's version, jbay :)

I've used Citra a lot in things like torpedo clones, but usually as an aroma hop. Not sure I'd love it as a full on flavor + aroma. I'll try and track down a Citra beer, I think I saw one in Coeur d'Alene when I was up there.

I'm going for a Georgetown Lucille clone, then, since I also have some Simcoe. Cascade will have to sub for Amarillo in that one, sadly. I need more of that stuff! Mash water heating now.

Thanks again for the quick advice.

Nice..hope it went well! I have all the hops and you have me thinking I should brew this one again....

Back