Double IPA Kern River Citra DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mooshimanx said:
If you do everything on KRBC timelines, the first pint tastes like straight up mango and then levels out to a more traditional flavor profile in about a week. My guess is that the flavor you get on Day 1 of it being carbonated is not the intent.

I just throw the hops directly into the secondary; I assume the stainless unit goes straight up in the keg? I would have assumed that it would just sink out rather than float around like that.

Well, the Nugget is the original recipe, so its probably closer. I didn't see any reason to go with Nugget after doing it with Warrior (which is my generic bittering hop of choice), but I bet any difference would be exceedingly marginal.

Mine ended up coming out great, despite forgetting to take gravity readings. SWMBO is pretty possessive of it which is probably a good sign. The only negative is she'll pour herself a few pints (hops are good for your health apparently), so I may be brewing it again soon.

Next time I'm going to try the warrior route and see which I like better.

image-2935981905.jpg

brewguyver said:
Mine ended up coming out great, despite forgetting to take gravity readings. SWMBO is pretty possessive of it which is probably a good sign. The only negative is she'll pour herself a few pints (hops are good for your health apparently), so I may be brewing it again soon.

Next time I'm going to try the warrior route and see which I like better.

Nice nails brewguyver! Nice beer too:)

This one def mellows out in an extra week or two. Lots of tropics in the nose at first and soften out to a smoother mouthfeel.

Ill prob end up keep this in rotation as well.

Haven't heard a negative comment yet.

Brewed this with a friend and ended up with a really strong plastic or PVC after taste to it. Smell is amazing but that plastic taste is quite a heart breaker... Any idea where it came from?

Brewed this with a friend and ended up with a really strong plastic or PVC after taste to it. Smell is amazing but that plastic taste is quite a heart breaker... Any idea where it came from?

What do you use for water? Tap water/filtered tap water? If you have chloramine in your water, and you don't use campden tablets you could get a distinct plastic aftertaste in the beer.

I tasted mine after 2 weeks, 1 day in the bottle (i know that's not enough)

Getting a rather strong alcohol taste and not that much hoppy flavour. Hoping it will improve with time...

I tasted mine after 2 weeks, 1 day in the bottle (i know that's not enough)

Getting a rather strong alcohol taste and not that much hoppy flavour. Hoping it will improve with time...

Give it some time, but don't expect a typical DIPA hop aroma or flavor. It's not a bitter beer at all, and citra hops have a kinda sweet flavor that plays really well with the honey malt and wheat in this recipe.

Give it some time, but don't expect a typical DIPA hop aroma or flavor. It's not a bitter beer at all, and citra hops have a kinda sweet flavor that plays really well with the honey malt and wheat in this recipe.

I had to sub the honey malt. It's not available in South Africa. I used Cara Ruby instead (i know - it's very different). Hoping that didnt ruin the beer.

A friend just brought me 4 pounds of honey malt from the States, so I am going to brew this again exactly as per the recipe and see what difference it makes.

I had to sub the honey malt. It's not available in South Africa. I used Cara Ruby instead (i know - it's very different). Hoping that didnt ruin the beer.

A friend just brought me 4 pounds of honey malt from the States, so I am going to brew this again exactly as per the recipe and see what difference it makes.

How much experience do you have with citra hops? Is it possible that you just aren't recognizing the citra in the beer? The only reason I ask is because somebody looking for a typical piney/grapefruity West Coast IPA flavor in this beer isn't going to find it...citra is a whole different animal. I can see how someone could confuse the sweeter tropical falvors of citra for part of the malt bill.

How much experience do you have with citra hops? Is it possible that you just aren't recognizing the citra in the beer? The only reason I ask is because somebody looking for a typical piney/grapefruity West Coast IPA flavor in this beer isn't going to find it...citra is a whole different animal. I can see how someone could confuse the sweeter tropical falvors of citra for part of the malt bill.

No experience - first time brewing with Citra. It's very difficult to get in SA.

I think i tried it too early. Going to give it at least another week then try it again :mug:

I really love this homebrew recipe and get requests to keep it on all the time. Definitely give it a try if you haven't and want to wow people with an IPA.

I did this beer again but changed the hop additions from Citra to Amarillo and the Amarillo dry hop additions to Nelson Sauvin (again used Warrior for bittering). I really like the grain bill in this beer for a DIPA at the bitterness level of the regular Citra beer (maybe I'll try and get it up to 100 IBU next time and see if I like it as much). Its got the right amount of sweetness, dryness and the right amount of bitterness. Not sure how changing the hop bill will affect it, but I had a crapload of 2011/2012 Amarillo hops I bought in the freezer, so I figured I'd use 'em up in the big dry hop. I did increase most of the Amarillo additions to compensate for the age of the hops + lower oil/AA content of Amarillo v. Citra.

Yea I'm with you buddy. I've now brewed this 4 or 5 times with varying hop profiles and the same grain bill.

Dry hopping seems to be an abridged 9 days with some blended Amarillo.

I've done continously hopped citra every 5 min with .25 oz starting at 40 min for a 60 min boil. Amarillo blended in at 25, 15, and 5. Came out very nice.

The profile is a touch sweeter and inviting for the mouthfeel. Lots of freedom here.

Love it!

I have opened a few bottles already at less than 2 weeks and it is like liquid citra (what I named it). My OG was 1.052 after brewing and I added some DME and sugar to some water and boiled it with a small dose of citra. After that I got it to 1.062 and added per the hop schedule except I subbed centennial for Amarillo since they are nearly impossible to find currently and I only used 1 oz of centennial instead of the 1.5 oz.

It went from 1.062 to 1.006 and does taste phenomenal. Can't wait until it is fully carbed. Hoping to come across some Amarillo soon to try that, but it will probably be a while before I make this again. Blows away the IPA I made last year with no dry hopping.

Completely missed my OG, measured 1.046. Boiled up 3lbs of DME and added it to the fermentor. Took a new reading and it read 1.052. 3lbs of DME should of added more than 6 gravity points. It was also my first time using dry yeast, US-05. I boiled a cup of water and stirred the yeast in. Although I think the water was too hot when I added in the yeast. No signs of fermentation after 36 hours so I sprinkled another packet into the fermentor. Heres hoping this beer is at least drinkable...

3 lbs of DME should add .120/5= .024 or so gravity points to your beer. (1.040 points per gallon). I ended up adding less DME than that with what I had available, but I also boiled some hops with mine to keep up with the bitterness and flavor of the beer and did not add much water. It seems like this has greatly improved to a super bitter (good) and citra aromatic Double IPA 3 weeks after bottling. It's pretty amazing in my opinion. I botched up my recipe and did the same thing, but not with as much DME and it turned out amazing.

For anyone new to all grain, I would add more base grain to bump up the gravity if you have trouble hitting the targets. This beer is awesome even if you don't.

Just added my second dry hop addition to a Conan version of this. Can't wait to taste it.

I brewed this about a week ago and sampled some today to check flavors and gravity and it's tasting pretty hot (boozy). I'm hoping it's still got some fermenting to do and those flavors will mellow out.

Although I probably can't duplicate the results on my batch that I added a gravity patch to, it ended up scoring a 45 and 43 in my monthly master brewer contest and took first place. It is my first first place beer award and more incentive to brew this again. Not overly bitter and the aroma is thru the roof.

Might brew again for bluebonnet next year.

tgmartin000 said:
How did the Conan turn out? Did it attenuate well? Going to be brewing this with Conan next weekend.

Turned out great. One of my favorite IPAs. I'd like to do it again with Cal Ale just for comparison but it was a really fruity, solid IPA. FG was 1.011.

Brewed a slightly modified PM of this on 10/17. Measured, tasted and dry hopped last night. (2) packs of US-05 took the gravity from 1.082 to 1.016. As soon as I removed the lid, you could already smell the citra hops. I have (3) more dry hops scheduled before bottling but it already tastes great.

Interestingly, having had a few pints and bottles of the real beer, I'm fairly certain the final gravity on this is south is definitely south of 1.010. The real beer is very, very dry.

I have a bottle left; I'll put it in the hydrometer tube to give it a test. I actually like the attenuation of using US05 around 1.012-13 better than I liked this year's version of the beer.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with as a fg. I brewed mine with Conan yeast and it got down to about 1.012. I dry hopped with 3 oz each citra and amarillo, going to start carbing it this weekend. Can't wait!

I brewed this up on Saturday but I added a 1/2 lb of Dextrose to try and dry it out a little more. I used 2 packs of the Mangrove Jack M44 which got rave reviews from the guys at my LHBS (one guy claimed that word on the street is M44 is the dry equivalent of the PacMan strain)

I'd be interested to see what you come up with as a fg. I brewed mine with Conan yeast and it got down to about 1.012. I dry hopped with 3 oz each citra and amarillo, going to start carbing it this weekend. Can't wait!

How did the Conan version come out? I've never had the original but want to try to use Conan on an APA, IPA and DIPA to see where it works best. I've had double citra in my sights for a while now.

How did the Conan version come out? I've never had the original but want to try to use Conan on an APA, IPA and DIPA to see where it works best. I've had double citra in my sights for a while now.

I've never had the original, but my version with conan came out really well. Tasty beverage.

I brewed this about 6 weeks ago...1.5 gal. Ended up getting so busy I missed the dry hop schedule and only added the first 12 day dry hop. After it sat on that for 2 weeks I decided to cut my losses and bottle as is. Well...had the first one last night and it was unbelievable. My new favorite.

Will be brewing this one again real soon and doing it right.

I want to put a batch of this on but I need some help with my water profile. Here are my number can anybody point me in the right direction?

Ca 25
Mg 1
Na 39
SO4 1
CI 73
Cac03 68
PH 8

I want to put a batch of this on but I need some help with my water profile. Here are my number can anybody point me in the right direction?

Ca 25
Mg 1
Na 39
SO4 1
CI 73
Cac03 68
PH 8

If that is correct (sulfate 1 ppm?) you need to get your sulfates up to about 300 ppm, calcium up to about 150. Do a search for "tasty mcdole water profile", he's got a good one, then download EZ Water or Brun water, they'll set you straight.

Yes those numbers are correct I have very little sulphate. I guess I will be adding Gypsum and Epsom salts.

going to brew this tomorrow, had an issue could not find Amarillo Hops any where, what could I substitute it with any ideas.

This will be my third brew and loving it.

Hello

Was able to find Amarillo Hops, at more beer. thanks

third brew 12-6

pre boil 1.056
post boil 1.065

in firmament lot of action going on.
send pic once I learn how.

This beer turn out great, will have to brew it again, friends and co workers loved it.

thanks for the recipe.

hopefully soon be able to start keg my beer

Clone Recipe Adapted from Can You Brew It with Jamil featuring Kyle from Kern River.

Basically Kyle came on the show and told everyone how to brew the beer and what ingredients to use. He used the 7BBL recipe for everything except the dry hopping which was given in 20BBL dosage. I have adapted the numbers down to a 5 gallon batch and messed with the hop utilization rates a bit.

Imperial IPA
Type: All Grain Date: 7/24/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.74 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
End of Boil Volume 6.24 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 6.00 gal Est Mash Efficiency 75.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
10 lbs 6 oz Great Western 2 Row (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 82.0 %
9.2 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.6 %
9.2 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.6 %
9.2 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.6 %
4.4 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 6 2.2 %
4.4 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5 2.2 %
1.00 oz Nugget [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 34.3 IBUs
0.60 oz Citra [10.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 8 16.6 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [10.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 8.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [10.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 6.5 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [10.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 3.6 IBUs
1.15 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 12.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.70 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 9.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.90 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 6.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
1.10 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 3.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35.49 ml] Yeast 12 -

Beer Profile
Est Original Gravity: 1.070 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.070 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.010 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.8 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.9 %
Bitterness: 69.9 IBUs Calories: 235.0 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 6.3 SRM

Mash Profile
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs 10.4 oz

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 19.73 qt of water at 162.0 F 148.0 F 60 min
Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 3.88 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).

Notes

Grains-
Briess Carapils, Munich, Crystal, White Wheat.
Gambrinus Honey Malt.

Mash-

Mash for 60 minutes at 148 degrees, no higher than 150. Single infusion. No vorlauf.

White Labs Yeast Nutrient. Koppakleer Tablets from Brewer's supply group, added with 5 minutes left in the boil. No filter.

Whirlpool for 20 minutes after flameout. Cool to 70-78. Kern adds the yeast in the tubes between the boil and the fermenter and it hits an oxygen stone on the way.

Yeast-

California Ale, White Labs 001. Pitch at 70 degrees, hold at 67 the entire time.

Water-
Unfiltered water, same as Sierra Nevada. It's hard water.

Fermentation-

6-8 days in primary. Do not raise temp.

Dry Hopping (pellets)-

Dry hop 2 days after fermentation is complete. Pull yeast off, then dry hop (go to secondary). All dry hopping done warm at 67 degrees. Each dry hop is 3 days. So if you put in the 1st DH on Monday, the next one goes in 2 days later, the day you put them in counts as a day. They cap off the fermenter after each DH. Crash on 12th day for a couple of days. Dump hops and yeast. Carb and drink. :rockin:

Why whirlpool for 20 minutes when there are no flameout hops added? Highlighted in red in the quote above.

Can't locate any 2015 Amarillo anywhere. I'd like to use a fresh substitute. Any recommendations for something Amarillo like?

Back