Pliny Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what make being an American Great! Everyone can have an opinion! Pliny is one of the best beer ever made and Hopslam is also very close (with a sweeter and more liquor taste) but Pliny the Younger will kick both their butt's......Just saying!!!!! Don't knock Pliny just because your not a Hop Hound.........

I'm definitely a hop-head. IPA's are my favorite style of brew. It was just my opinion that other IPA's and DIPA's are better. But I am very excited to brew that Pliny clone. I'm not arguing with you or anything by the way. Just wanted to make it clear my opinion is coming from a hop head, not someone who primarily prefers Stouts and Porters.

Also I haven't had the pleasure of trying Pliny the Younger. Something to look forward to whenever I can get my hands on one.

I ran into another homebrewer at a local craft beer bar that told me more about Pliny. When I told him how underwhelmed I had been, he told me the reason was that due to the recent hop shortage, they started substituting with Hop Extract, which changed the flavor from what it originally was.

Miss Information strikes again.

Your friend is half right. They use Hop extract in the 90 minute addition and the 45 minute addition. All the other additions are pellet hops. They do this for increased yield, and for a smoother bitterness, and to cut down on the vegatal note you can get. They've been doing it for years that way.

The beer isn't any less 'good' because they're using hop extract.

Miss Information strikes again.

Your friend is half right. They use Hop extract in the 90 minute addition and the 45 minute addition. All the other additions are pellet hops. They do this for increased yield, and for a smoother bitterness, and to cut down on the vegatal note you can get. They've been doing it for years that way.

The beer isn't any less 'good' because they're using hop extract.

Interesting. As I mentioned I wasn't sure how accurate what that guy said was. Good to know. I was just reading up on Pliny the Younger, and it sounds pretty damn tasty. I need to get my hands on one for sure.

I bought Hop Stoopid last night. Unfortunately, my nose was stuffy so I literally couldn't smell a thing and could barely taste it. Fortunately,my buddy was here telling me how amazing it was. I'll be getting it again. I was so frustrated.

Never had PtE, should be getting a bottle from CA here in the next couple of weeks.

I've had the Hopslam, and that was pretty damn good, but I still think Hopstoopid was better, and I'm a big fan of Hercules DIPA from Great Divide. Those guys in CO know how to brew solid beers.

Again, never had PtE, so cannot say if they are close to the Elder's taste.

Stone ruination is awesome, and if purchased near packaging date it's awesome. I've never had a Pliny but I can't imagine ruination not comparing well. It's super bitter, super citrusy hoppy floral.... Awesome. I'll be brewing yoopers clone coming up soon.

Have commented on PTE on previous threads having had it many, many times both on tap and in bottles. Great beer, no doubt but THE best IIPA IMHO is Mycrenary out of O'Dells brewery in Ft Collins CO. Sublime.

As to this post, I went to the store tonight to see if they had hop stoopid. In luck they were just able to acquire it and got it in today!! Lucky me.

Good IPA. It's been some time since I had Pliny but from what I can remember this might be close. I would be curious to try a side by side tasting. Unfortunately I live in Kansas and can't get Pliny.

All the talk about Pliny put me in the mood to crack open my last one. In September, I made the trip out to Santa Rosa to get a six pack of it. They say don't let it age, and I would have to say 5 months may have been a little long for this one.

Its a great beer, but for my money, I'll take a Hopslam. I think its my Midwestern roots.

I've not had Hop Stoopid, but I think the beer I've had that is most similar to Pliny is Lagunitas IPA. It just has a more malty character to it.

I'm drinking Lagunitas Sucks Brown Sugga Substitute. This stuff is heavenly and right there with Pliny! I have some Firewalker to go through tonight too. Hey V Day everyone!

I'm drinking Lagunitas Sucks Brown Sugga Substitute. This stuff is heavenly and right there with Pliny! I have some Firewalker to go through tonight too. Hey V Day everyone!

Lagunitas Sucks was one of the best IPA's I've had. The citrus flavors in it were pretty prominent and very tasty!

Back