How much sugar/honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popecrisco

Reaction score
hey guys, first batch of cider was nice, but a little light on the ABV percentage, and the carbonation is not very strong, just a little bit of bubbles out of the bottle.

I would like to get to the 6-7% range on this next batch, and have some head on the poured drink, not just fizzy low abv booze.

This time I have champagne yeast,
doing 2 - 1 gallon batches. of fresh pressed, whole foods AJ

my sugar options are:
Honey
Agave Nectar
Brown Sugar
Priming Sugar
Table Sugar

What two sugars would you use, and what kind of volume (although I know I should test the PG for a better idea of final ABV)

TIA

I just started a batch with the same exact AJ you are using but I used some ale yeasts instead. one with a alcohol tolerance of about 11% for a sparkling cider and one with an alcohol tolerance of about 9% for a still cider

for me, I added 1lb of priming sugar in each which is recommended in a wine making handbook I have for a full bodied cider. once it all ferments out I will add 3/4 cup priming sugar to the one gallon with the higher tolerance.

cant comment on how it turns out just passing on the info I received from my LHBS and those guys are usually spot on with their advice.

popecrisco - If you ferment to dry, the cider should be 6-7% ABV without any added sugars. If you do add sugar, I would not use priming sugar, but any of the others is fine. Personally, I'd pick one sugar and then either honey or agave, so you can see the different flavor contributions.

mcwilcr - 3/4 cup priming sugar is typical for a 5 gallon batch. Way too much for one gallon. Unless you pasteurize or something else to halt fermentation, you will end up with bottle bombs.

popecrisco - If you ferment to dry, the cider should be 6-7% ABV without any added sugars. If you do add sugar, I would not use priming sugar, but any of the others is fine. Personally, I'd pick one sugar and then either honey or agave, so you can see the different flavor contributions.

mcwilcr - 3/4 cup priming sugar is typical for a 5 gallon batch. Way too much for one gallon. Unless you pasteurize or something else to halt fermentation, you will end up with bottle bombs.

Thanks for catching the mistake! you are quite right and hopefully I would have caught it on my own before I get to that point but I will be sure to change it in my notes now. I've never done anything smaller than a 5 gallon batch before and by habit I guess, I just associate priming with 3/4 cup. :drunk:

Back