Transferring wort to fermenter, filter clogging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackerlack

Reaction score
The last time I brewed I had a problem with the hops breaking apart and coming out of the hop sock. When transferring the wort from the kettle to the carboy the filter on the funnel kept getting clogged with hops. It completely covered the filter and would not allow any wort to flow through. I tried to use the paddle to clear off the filter, but it was so fine of a grit that it did nothing. I ended up having to remove the filter completely in order to get the wort into the carboy. Anyone know of any tricks or equipment that would help me in this situation if it happens again? I guess I could pour a small amount of wort in the funnel and transfer it slowly, cleaning off the filter once it starts to get covered.

Could you use a sieve and transfer it to a second sterilized pot/bucket first? And then transfer from that container to your carboy? May be a more efficient way of doing the transfer in this situation.

Slacker,

One device that you can make for fewer than 10 bucks and one that many of us on HBT use would be a boil kettle hop filter (or whatever it's being called today;-)). Any ways I found this video on YouTube after a quick search. Skip ahead to 5:11 and you will see exactly what you need!:) Just a side note some on HBT actually like some hops in their primary that were left over from the boil, so don't be surprised to get a varying range of advice:)

Last edited by a moderator:
The last time I brewed I had a problem with the hops breaking apart and coming out of the hop sock. When transferring the wort from the kettle to the carboy the filter on the funnel kept getting clogged with hops. It completely covered the filter and would not allow any wort to flow through. I tried to use the paddle to clear off the filter, but it was so fine of a grit that it did nothing. I ended up having to remove the filter completely in order to get the wort into the carboy. Anyone know of any tricks or equipment that would help me in this situation if it happens again? I guess I could pour a small amount of wort in the funnel and transfer it slowly, cleaning off the filter once it starts to get covered.

I had the same problem this past weekend when trying to get my wort into the carboy using the funnel with filter.

This time I will do it differently. I now have an extra large mesh grain sack, I think people also use paint strainer bags found at your local Home Depot. I also have a few fermenter buckets laying around. Open the bag up and hang the edges over a fermenter "bucket". Dump the wort into the bucket first, thereby straining out the fine particles. Pull out the bag and set it down to be cleaned later.

Now when I go to dump my wort into the carboy using my funnel with filter all or most of the crud will already be gone. So I'm hoping it won't clog up.

Plus this has the added bonus of aerating the wort by pouring it back and forth between a couple of vessels.

Latest posts

Back