How to add Pomegranate???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnthompson

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to the exciting world of homebrew, so bear with me. My girlfriend is wanting a nice semi-tart Pomegranate beer. I was planning on making a Pomegranate wheat. I've read a lot about how/when to add the Pomegranate to it and what should be used. A lot of people say POM is great, but I've also read that POM is not great. Any idea????

thanks!

If you can secondary, from what I understand (no firsthand knowledge) it's best to rack your beer onto the juice or fruit in your secondary. As for what juice to use, I'm clueless.

ive used pomegranate paste (bought at any Mediterranean specialty food store, they use it for cooking) with good results. Definitely adds a tartness (the sweetness ferments out).

not much experience with that fruit, but when i do my fruit beers, i usually rack my beer onto the fruit after primary fermentation is done (usually 7 days just to be sure) i like to make a chunky puree with fresh fruit, and i suggest usuing a mesh bag for the pulp, i made a grapefruit beer without the mesh and had pulp in every pour. now how much pom to use, i wouldnt know, but i would personally use fresh fruit, especially if you want it to be somewhat tart. bottle/keg when it tastes right to you, hope this helps man

Appreciate all the help. I think im going to end up using a mesh bag and rack the beer onto fresh pomegranate during secondary. Should be ready to brew come this Wednesday!

I like to use pomegranate molasses, which is nothing more than concentrated pomegranate juice. You can get it at most specialty/gourmet food stores and for $5, you will have less juice to mess with and a ton more flavor. One bit of advice. DO Not use the seeds/fruit. The skins are really tannic and drying and font work well in the beer.

Back