Wlp001

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerjunky828

Reaction score
If I am making a IIPA and I am using 15 lbs 2 Row at 70% effeciency making a 5 gallon batch, will a vial of WLP001 get the FG down to at least 1.014 without making a starter. I just broke a therm and I invited a random fellow homebrew advocate to brew in 2 days. I felt that I cannot make a starter and I have not enough time to make one before brew day. I am going to borrow his therm for the mashing and what not. So Can I get WLP001 to attenuate with an OG of at least 1.075 without a starter??

I plan on keeping the ferm temp between 60 and 64 F.

Thanks for the help!!

I think you may be taking a chance to get proper attenuation. White Labs recommends the yeast for an OG of 1.060. Good Luck if you decide to try.

That is a hefty OG to not have a starter. You will be lucky if you get close to your target FG. If possible buy another vial, and pitch both. If you can't get another vial, I would make a starter. Any amount of growth is going to be better than nothing.

Funny that this post is so recent.

I just had time to rack an IPA yesterday that had an OG of 1.072. FG of 1.007!

This was a new experiment and I was wondering how the yeast would do. Evidently they were very happy.

What I did is posted here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/why-not-pitch-your-yeast-cake-166221/index24.html#post2010670

I didn't think 001 would take it down that far and I'm hoping I didn't dry it out to much.

Bull

Bump

Has anyone had wlp001 take a higher gravity beer down this far?

Did it dry it out to much? My hydro sample tasted good but without being carbed up it's hard to tell.
It also took my 7.5% abv IPA up to 8.5%

Bull

I didn't think it dried it out too much. I'm not a fan of beers that are real sugary and tend to prefer drier brews unless it's a stout/porter. I had a case of Terrapin Big Hoppy Monster and felt there was too much residual sugar. The beer really turned me off. I think you'll be happy. If you think it's too dry, bump up your mash temp a little.

If I am making a IIPA and I am using 15 lbs 2 Row at 70% effeciency making a 5 gallon batch, will a vial of WLP001 get the FG down to at least 1.014 without making a starter. I just broke a therm and I invited a random fellow homebrew advocate to brew in 2 days. I felt that I cannot make a starter and I have not enough time to make one before brew day. I am going to borrow his therm for the mashing and what not. So Can I get WLP001 to attenuate with an OG of at least 1.075 without a starter??

I plan on keeping the ferm temp between 60 and 64 F.

Thanks for the help!!

Make a 2L starter (6 oz DME) and pitch 2 vials. Put on stir plate for 48 hours. Crash cool for 24 hours, decant off most liquid. On morning of brew day, bring yeast up to 68 degrees and step up starter (1L) and put on stir plate. Pitch the whole lot into the fermenter.

Ferment at 67 / 68. Increase to 70 near end of fermentation. This should give you a good shot of getting 80% attenuation. (A common recommendation with IIPAs is to add corn sugar into the boil to dry out the beer / lower the TG. I usually go with a pound).

Also see:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Make a 2L starter (6 oz DME) and pitch 2 vials. Put on stir plate for 48 hours. Crash cool for 24 hours, decant off most liquid. On morning of brew day, bring yeast up to 68 degrees and step up starter (1L) and put on stir plate. Pitch the whole lot into the fermenter.

Ferment at 67 / 68. Increase to 70 near end of fermentation. This should give you a good shot of getting 80% attenuation. (A common recommendation with IIPAs is to add corn sugar into the boil to dry out the beer / lower the TG. I usually go with a pound).

Also see:

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

Why use 2 vials if you are making a starter? And how is 1L a step up from 2L?

I would definitely make a starter for that IIPA, though I would use 1 vial to do so.

Why use 2 vials if you are making a starter? And how is 1L a step up from 2L?

I would definitely make a starter for that IIPA, though I would use 1 vial to do so.

1 vial pitched into 2L won't give you the cell count needed for the anticipated OG (according to Jamil's formula, but I concur based on my own experience). Stepping up on brew day is to get the yeast active prior to pitching. You could skip this if you did the initial starter closer to brew day so that it was active when pitching, but you'd be pitching the full 2L.

You could start with just 1 vial but you'd have to step up to get the cell count up sufficiently so as to increase to odds of it fully attenuating and not stressing the yeast.

Edit: Forgot to cite my reference:

http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/dwnldarchive09-04-05.mp3

Know's what he's talking about does this dude.

WLP001 really surprised me last time I used it. Took a 1.068 IIPA down to 1.014 in 18 days with a few gross 80F hot ferment days. I though for sure those days would tucker out the yeasts but they kept chugging along like BEASTS. Thing is, I pitched this right from the vial, too. I am quite fond of this yeast

Latest posts

Back