Recipe suggestions Please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddi Brewski

Reaction score
Hola,

Just seeking suggestions for my next (all grain) brew...
Here's what's at my disposal....
1. Virtually unlimited quantity (just got 55lbs.) of Munton's Pale Ale Malt
2. Black Patent, Roasted Barley, Chocolate, and Crystal Malts
3. Target, Magnum, and a couple ounces Amarillo Hops

Here's what I want...

I'm a huge fan of BierMuncher's "cream of 3 crops," have brewed it many times with my own tweaks, so many thanks to you BierMuncher, and also a devotee of EdWort's Haus Pale (so good). Just kind of looking to ratchet up the malt flavor a little and also bring in some good... how you say "roasti-ness," yet still keep things on the lighter side. A bit more body, some Amarillo in the nose... kind of like an IPA that's heavy on the malt flavor rather than a total "hop bomb."
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Teddi Brewski (retired)
Go Pats

Well, with that roasted barley and chocolate, a stout comes to mind. Stouts need not be heavy, in fact the famous Guiness is quite light bodied and lower in calories and alcohol than many pale ales.

Good luck!

I have two in my pull down you may be able to get close to with what you have.

Brown ale is not too hard. Lets say 8 lb base, 1 lb crystal and 1/2 lb chocolate malt. Bitter with some Target or Magnum and then lay down 2-4 oz Amarillo in the last 20 minutes and even dry hop with some. Amber has more crystal and less or none of the dark malts.

Brown Ale is really easy. Conroe is right on the money. 85% Pale Malt, 10% Crystal (~55L), 5% Chocolate. Maybe toast 15-20% of the Pale Malt for added malty oomph. Bitter to a BU:GU ratio of ~0.50; flavor/aroma hops amounts are up to you; I'd not exceed one ounce of flavor/aroma hops total in five gallons.

American Amber Ale is an excellent style which I enjoy. Have a look at the article I contributed to on AAA in the HBT Wiki. Trouble is, your Maris Otter base malt is going to take the beer slightly out of style. That's okay, though, if you don't particularly care about style; moreover, I've brewed excellent AAA with Muntons pale malt. Follow the grist percentages in that article and you won't go wrong. Shoot for a BU:GU ratio closer to 0.75 in AAA, dependent on the amount and type of Crystal malts you use.

Cheers!

Bob

Sounds like you may be looking for a “Black IPA”. All the maltiness and hop aroma of a full-on IPA with a slight choco-roastiness of a Schwarzbier. You can back off the bittering hops because the roasted grains will give you some of that. Late additions and dry hopping bring out the “flowers” in the beer. Mash high for a fuller malt profile.

I haven't brewed this yet...but a black IPA is on my list.

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.061 SG
Estimated Color: 24.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 52.2 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Magnum [13.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (10 min)
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.00%] (5 min)

Dry hop to your taste preferences.

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.25 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 4.14 gal of water at 170.5 F 158.0 F 45 min

If you want some added character...pull about 2 pounds of the base malt and toast it at 325 degree for 30-40 minutes...stirring once or twice.

Bob and Muncher,
A thousand thanks to both of you... I think I'm gonna have to brew both, starting with that Black IPA, although I only have one type of crystal, so I'll probly just double up on that. I know you're not from my area, but have you ever tried a beer called "Ipswich IPA," it's brewed up my way, and I think this recipe is going to end up in the ballpark (not that that's my goal), I'll let you know. Thanks.

Back