help needed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So as most of us around here I have been wanting to keg for quite some time now, but just never had the funds/space available to take on such a project.

Low and behold I ran across this on craigslist this afternoon, and it ended up in the back of my scion on the way home from work:
3832714066_b9b365e185_o.jpg

I have so many questions its not even funny, but lets just get it started:

1) Whats the best way to clean the lines? They look kinda cruddy, and I would replace it but not too sure I want to take the tower apart to replace it .... ideas?

2) How much pressure should I be putting into the kegs? Im planning on buying some Longboard Lager from Bevmo this week if that helps.

3) Obviously as you all can see I only have one tower but enough space for a couple of kegs. Can I pressurize one and switch between multiples within the refrigerated area or is that a bad idea?

4) Whats the shelf life on the brew after I tap it?

5) What would one expect a refill of a C02 canister to run?

Thanks in advance everyone, I appreciate it!

1. Get a beer line cleaner and run that through, Its pretty cheap
2. 4-8lbs pressure. With those short lines you wont need much
3. what you can do, I do this. Put 8lbs on each keg, disconnect the gas. When they stop flowing as fast as you want just reconnect the gas to the ones that are low on pressure. I only have 2 taps but usually have 3-4 kegs going, so the extras get pressurized and have picnic taps hooked up.
4. The shepf life will vary. Your commercial stuff will last a LONG time. Your homebrew. also a long time since its at a low temp.
5. Refill 5lb CO2 canisters in my area cost $12 and I can carb and push about 30gal of homebrew.

Thanks for the input. Now I have to figure out what kind of kegs I can use. The adapter from the c02 tank is cylindrical and seems to rotate into place and lock?? It also has a white handled lever which I'm assuming is used to 'lock' it in place once everything is in place. Its pictured above nearest you, on the ground. Ill take another picture tonight when I get home for further clarification.

Thanks again everyone!
Don

Looks like a sankey tap from here.

If you're using it for homebrew with corny kegs, you'll need to change that out. Search around and I'm sure you'll find the process on here.

Taking the tower apart to replace the lines isn't a bad thing. Since this is second hand it might be a good idea to strip the whole thing down and make sure it's clean.

Back