Recipe suggestions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewjapan

Reaction score
I was rather disappointed by the recipes I put together for myself so really want to just brew something to restore my faith that I can brew something nice.

Any suggestions for a DME + steeping grains recipe using some of (not necessarily all) the grains below:

300g C60
300g C75
300g Carared (15.6-19.3)
300g Muntons Black (550-600)

I have a fair selection of hops - everything in this post except Saaz (which they forgot to send):
The monster hops order « Homebrew Japan
I'd prefer not to use centennial at all since the IPA I made myself was all centennial.

Malt will be Munton's spraymalt. I have loads of bags of extra light, plus 1kg of light, and 0.5kg of wheat.

I'd prefer a hoppy pale ale or IPA (but not an in-your-face-and-out-your-ears hoppiness) or a porter (not too burnt; though I probably don't have enough of the right grain to make a porter since I don't have chocolate or dark crystal).

Any ideas? Suggestions much appreciated,

I'm afraid I can't help you because I've had 3 too many pints of my Rye IPA and trying to convert units would make me bleed from the ears right now.

But I would like to say 歓迎 to a fellow homebrewer from the island of Honshū.

:mug:

Okay, this is quick-n-dirty. I had the idea of doing a nice, hoppy, amber ale with German hops. Kind of an Altbier but with IPA hops levels, and using a blend of flavor/aroma hops.

Here goes:

Type: Extract w/grain
Size:
20 liters
Color:
20 HCU (~12 SRM)
Bitterness: 49 IBU
OG: 1.059
FG:
Alcohol:
6.0% v/v (4.7% w/w)
Grain:

300g American crystal 60L
300g British Carastan light
100g British crystal 70-80L
2.5kg Light dry malt extract
500g Wheat extract
Boil:
60 minutes; SG 1.059; 20 liters

Hops:

40g Perle (8% AA, 60 min.)
15g Hallertauer (4.25% AA, 15 min.)
15g Crystal (4% AA, 15 min.)
15g Mt. Hood (4.5% AA, 15 min.)
15g Hallertauer (aroma)
15g Crystal (aroma)
15g Mt. Hood (aroma)

I'm assuming full boil. Otherwise steep the grains in whatever amount of liquor is doable for you and boil that wort with the wheat extract. Add the rest of the extract at flameout. That should keep the hops schedule intact.

Ferment cool with a clean-fermenting, well-attenuating, neutral ale yeast like Nottingham. If you're set up to lager, an Alt strain wouldn't go amiss here, either, or you could go full-tilt and brew a lager beer.

Prost!

Bob

Interesting suggestion because I hadn't yet worked out how I'd use those hops. Thanks bob!

Latest posts

Back