Yeast strain for fresh blueberry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost

Reaction score
I've got 10 pounds of fresh blueberrys and plan to make a couple of different 1 gallon batches. I'm new to winemaking and wanted to know what would be a suitable yeast to use(i've got 1 pack of cotes de blanc). I can't really find any info pertaining to a strain for fresh blueberrys. I am currently aging 1 gallon of Montrachet but I'm worried it's going to oxidize. When i transfered to the secondary jug I used a funnel. After further research I've found this will oxidize my wine, making it very unpleasant to drink. I love the forums, you guys are all great help. Thanks for sharing your experience.

2 1/2 pounds of blueberries (fresh or frozen) Use more for a heavier body wine.
4 1/2 cups of sugar
1 teaspoon Yeast Nutrient
1 1/2 teaspoons acid blend
1 teaspoon pectic enzyme
1 Campden tablet.
Wine making yeast

That's the recipe i'm using by the way. Any suggestions on changes would be appreciated as well. Thanks again.

I've got 10 pounds of fresh blueberrys and plan to make a couple of different 1 gallon batches. I'm new to winemaking and wanted to know what would be a suitable yeast to use(i've got 1 pack of cotes de blanc). I can't really find any info pertaining to a strain for fresh blueberrys. I am currently aging 1 gallon of Montrachet but I'm worried it's going to oxidize. When i transfered to the secondary jug I used a funnel. After further research I've found this will oxidize my wine, making it very unpleasant to drink. I love the forums, you guys are all great help. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I've found this page to be very useful: http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/strains.asp I've used Lalvin D-47 on blueberry melomel & Lalvin K1-V1116 on a multiberry melomel that has blueberries in it. Had good results with the 1st, still waiting on the 2nd, but from what I can tell, it'll be tasty. Good luck! GF.

cote de blancs will give a little bit sweeter wine than some of the other yeasts, but I would guess it would still give you a great tasting wine if done right. one piece of advice though, cote de blancs is a very calm/slow fermenter, so dont get too worried if you dont see bubbles.

Back