Caramelizing my wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Working on a new partial mash scotch ale and am thinking about caramelizing the wort. When adding water to the wort, before fermentation, do I add extra water because I've boiled down part of my wort, or should I add the same amount?

Thanks for any responses. I'm only on my 5th batch so I'm still learning some things.... Cheers!

I assume you're talking about carmelizing the first runnings? Usually that's what's done- carmelize the wort before adding the hops. Boil the wort down, and then proceed.

If you're doing it the way I think, you still top up with the same amount of water in the fermenter for a 5 gallon batch as you normally would- that is, up to 5 gallons. You should have a 5 gallon mark on your fermenter, and should top up to that level.

Thanks.

I'm still on partial mashes. So would I caramelize after the grains and dry extract is added, but before the hops and liquid extract?

Back