help make 1 gallon of blackberry mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hubba

Reaction score
i have
2 pounds of blackberry
2 pounds of honey

ok what else would you use.

Blackberry mead you say? I will have to follow this conversation. I've got a huge blackberry thicket next to the backyard that could make some lovely flavor.

A package of Cote Des Blanc, and a t-spoon of Yeast Nutrient.

oh...and enough water to fill up the jug.

I'd taste in a few months and see if it's going to need about a good size wedge of lemon Juice added to it.

1 quart was wild blackberries put up about 2 years ago. the other was bought at wally world frozen. i weighted my honey it was 1 pound and 13.5 oz. not quiet 2 pounds but SG was 1.110. i'm boiling water right now to top it off. might lower the sugar a little. i still like a inch more water where i think i need to be. i'm going to leave it a little lower than i normally do. maybe it won't make a mess.

Depending on the yeast...and (I take it you are adding your berries to the primary) it Might not make a mess.

Until I made my Braggot, it never even crossed my mind that Mead makes a mess because I always add the fruits to the secondary. HA. Oh well.

Yeast wise, I'd say 1116 or cote de blanc are great choices, if you're looking for a less acidy mead, perhaps 71B-1122. I'd say hold back 1/3 of the blackberries to add to secondary, to give you more fruit on the nose and more true-to-form blackberry flavors. Remember that fruit is greatly changed flavorwise during fermentation.

Still new at this but here is what I did:

3 lbs of blackberry’s
3 lbs of honey
.75 of a package of Lalvain -1118 yeast
Fill to top

I froze and thawed the blackberries multiple times before I started.
Had to use a makeshift airlock as it was bubbling out the top. :drunk:
(On a side note, my daughter said it looked like brains!!:))
As of last month the sg was 1.020. Figured I would let it set for another month then try it.

Don "Ho"

Still new at this but here is what I did:

3 lbs of blackberry’s
3 lbs of honey
.75 of a package of Lalvain -1118 yeast
Fill to top

I froze and thawed the blackberries multiple times before I started.
Had to use a makeshift airlock as it was bubbling out the top.
(On a side note, my daughter said it looked like brains!!)
As of last month the sg was 1.020. Figured I would let it set for another month then try it.

That's similar to the mead I started tonight. I used about a quart of wild blackberries that I had frozen, and a little less than a quart (3 lbs maybe? give or take?) of local honey and about 2 gallons of water. (It's in the primary now, and my secondary is a 4 liter jug I use for experimental batches) I added my acid blend (should I not have?), my pectic enzyme and my yeast nutrient and pitched my champagne yeast after re-hydrating.

I mashed my berries in a grain bag into complete mush and then steeped in hot water for several hours before adding the rest of the ingredients. I threw the berries out after they steeped. I know a lot of guys add the fruit in the secondary, but I think the yeast needs something to eat in the primary seeing as how honey isn't the easiest thing for them to work with. I might lose some flavor like that, but meh... we'll see.

I'll keep you all posted.

Latest posts

Back