Champagne Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmlimestone

Reaction score
So we created a beer on Saturday. with this recipe

6lb 2-row
4lb wheat malt
5lb frozen raspberries
1lb Dark Belgian Candi Sugar
2oz Cascade Hops
Wyeast Bavarian Wheat something??
US 05 dry yeast

Did a multi step infusion mash got a good conversion. threw the wort in the 7.9 gallon fermenter planning to bring out 5 to the secondary. Got stuck, the WYEAST didn't take. New Supply shop, might be old. had a friend with me trying to explain too much to him at the same time. After 36 hours got antsy and dropped the US-05 in there. It is roaring and boaring, but my question is should I add the Champagne yeast that I piked up. I do not know if there is enough sugar to warrant drying it out. I am afraid it may be the wrong thing to do. I was intrigued after seeing it so many places as a late adder to a stronger beer.

Hey i am going for he summer sipper, so maybe???

Hmmmm. I wouldn't consider champagne yeast. I didn't do the math (I'm way too lazy and a bit druck-ish) but your beer isn't all that big. What was the OG?

not high, but someone said that it may add to the fruit beers? Is this bunk. My first fruit beer. I like malt, but ours is a collective of 10 guys and sometimes I am not in charge of the recipes.

At an OG of 1.065, I wouldn't even consider putting champagne yeast in there. I use champagne yeast in wines that I expect to go fully dry. It leaves almost no fruitiness behind in my wines- that's why I choose it. I would say that would be a bad idea for your fruit beer.

I will go with NO. I will save the Champagne Yeast for the Dry ceyser we have planned when we find some good local honey.

Back