Yooper's Oatmeal Stout Yeast Substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
My LHBS never seems to have the yeast I need.

Could I use Nottie or S-04 for a 5 gallon batch of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout?

Thanks ahead of time... the reading I've done has given me conflicting ideas....

I think you'd be fine substituting either one, even though they will both dry out a little more than the suggested WY1335 British Ale II. If those are your only two options, I would personally go for S-04 (Whitbread Dry Strain), as it should have a little more of an ester profile; I find Nottingham pretty clean when compared to other English strains. If those are not your only choices, I think something closer to WY1335 from an attenuation standpoint would be WLP002/WY1968 or WY1318. I would prefer one of those two strains to the two yeast strains you listed, only because they shouldn't dry out as much.

S-04 would be my choice. Either is fine, but S-04 would be closer. Notty attenuates more. You want some residual sugars for that recipe I think.

Notty can also be a bit fruity IMO if you can't keep the temp down below 70. Not sure how the S-04 flocculates, but Notty is pretty good. Pretty much all the English yeasts flocc.

Back