Dip tube keeps clogging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsitsad

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm having a problem with my current brew - I added about 4oz of hop pellets to the secondary and everything appeared to be fine with the kegging process. But I either got too greedy when siphoning from secondary to keg or everything hadn't settled out or something else but I cannot pour anything out of the keg. The dip tube keeps getting jammed with hops and other material. I have tried everything it seems from trying to siphon out the bottom of the keg to making a little screen to put on the end of the dip tube but that gives me such a frustratingly slow pour. The beer is already carbed so I dont think I'd be able to transfer to the carboy and back to the keg without losing a ton of beer - any other suggestions? is it worth it to cut the dip tube? Thanks in advance :mug:

You might have to trim the dip tube. I use a small pipe cutter to do this. You can find them at any hardware store. Sometimes on these kegs they can be touching the bottom and that compounds the issue. If you have to cut the diptube a little and you need a replacement in the future they are not that expensive. We have a ton of used ones we have pulled off of used kegs. The most important thing is to make sure you get the proper replacement. There are about four distict styles depending on the age and brand of your keg. Wish I had a better solution. Maybe someone else can thing of something more creative?

The easiest fix is probably just to depressurize the keg and pull out the "out" diptube. Hold it up to a light, and see if it's clogged. Make sure you clean out the poppit too. That will fix it. I've seen "diptube screens" for sale, but I don't have one. Put it all back together, and if you have a stainless scrubby (like SOS pads without the soap, and it has to be stainless!), sanitize it and put it at the bottom so that the long diptube goes into it. That should help.

After unclogging a dip tube 3 times with this same issue, i decided to trandsfer to another keg. I let the hops settle out, put the keg on its side and pushed the beer out the gas tube into the out post of another sanitzed and purged keg. Just be gentle with the cloggef keg and try not to disturb the beer after it settled

Back