How much cane sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokopuff829

Reaction score
Ive bottled 2 batches of beer that were over-carbonated. What is the correct amount cane sugar to use per 5 gallons?

Depends on the style you want, the carbonation level you want, the temperature at which you're bottling . . . several factors. Use a calculator like this one.

I can tell you that for my 5 gallon batches, at 70F or so, I like 2.3-2.5 volumes of CO2 in my pale ales. I put 4oz / 110g of cane sugar in 500mL of water, boil it for a few minutes, cool it, then mix it in with my beer in the bottling bucket. I've been very happy with the results.

Golddiggie said:
Use this site to help you to figure out how much sugar to add. Be sure to measure the sugar by WEIGHT.

That's my problem. Ive been using a measuring cup. Next time I'll just go buy a scale. Thanks.

Depends on the style you want, the carbonation level you want, the temperature at which you're bottling . . . several factors. Use a calculator like this one.

I can tell you that for my 5 gallon batches, at 70F or so, I like 2.3-2.5 volumes of CO2 in my pale ales. I put 4oz / 110g of cane sugar in 500mL of water, boil it for a few minutes, cool it, then mix it in with my beer in the bottling bucket. I've been very happy with the results.

The temperature component in the calculator is not what temperature you will carbonating the bottles, but what was the highest temp your fermentation hit. This is a measurement of residual co2. Very important. Your beer has co2 in it before you add sugar. It needs to be accounted for.

Back