I've been getting free eggs from my spent grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thrstyunderwater

Reaction score
Locally backyard raised eggs are really in vogue right now. I don't have chickens but I have buddies that do. Recently they've been more than happy to give me a dozen eggs for my spent grains. Figure that's better than dumping it in my compost, something I was doing till it dawned on me to talk to my chicken friends.

Thought I'd pass on the idea in case anyone else has the opportunity and hasn't thought of it.

Other people have done much the same, but a new thread on the subject can't hurt. Spent grains are very high in protein because we mash out all of the starches.

Thanks for posting this. I do have buddies that are raising chickens. I din't necessary care about getting anything out of it. It's just a lot of grain to be putting in to the compost bin or the trash bin.

I give my spent grains to chickens as well. They really like them. Even more than regular chicken feed.

Thats cool it works for chickens. I can dump spent grain on the ground and the birds around here don't even peck at it. Are they mixing it with more palatable food?

I have been shocked that all the grain I dump nothing eats, not even nieghbors dogs, mine of course loves a cup full with his feed on brew day.

I give mine to my local farmer,his chickens love them, i dont expect anything for them he is a small artisan farmer tring to make a living producing healthfull food that is unproceesed and free of BS processing, thats where i get eggs beef and milk. And i tell you there is nothing at the store like it. Same thing as there is nothing like anything that comes out of your garden, thats why i miss my parents garden and getting the most flavorfull tomatoes ever. Thats why i stick to farmers markets i guess too.
Try composting or throwing them in patchy grass, i swear i had a bad patch and after i threw the grains the grass finally grew as good as the rest.

I've swapped grain for eggs before too, works nicely. I prefer to do that, but otherwise I'll just compost it.

I've got some friends in the Logan area with hens, I'm sure they would gladly train grain (or homebrew) for eggs

One of my neighbors has chickens I see them all the time in the summer, interesting. Do you dry the grains or just give em a big wet bag?

FYI - Chickens will eat almost anything!

Yep, if I could only get them to stop eating the dry rotted plastic wicker bits that falls from our wicker chairs.

........actually we got rid of the chairs last year but seriously it was a problem and they will eat almost anything. They also love styrofoam and will go to lenghts to get to it..a real pain in the A$$.

We volunteer at a local community greenhouse/farm that has a few chickens. I've only done a few batches, but that's where I've taken my spent grain.

Although, I must admit, I personally enjoy snacking on it a little bit. Great flavor and makes a wonderful salad topper.

@ PollardsVision

Your name scares me. I work at a company called Pollard Water and now that I see you on here I feel like my boss is watching me heh...

I'm going to see if the farm near my house wants them in the spring. It's the only farm in NYC, which is pretty cool on its own. There's a few people in Brooklyn who have popped up on a local forum asking for spent grains, but it's just too much of a pain for a few eggs. We buy produce from the farm during the harvest seasons so it will be nice to help them out.

You're not getting free eggs. The eggs cost about $20.00 per dozen, you're getting free beer. I've been feeding my chickens the grains for quite a while.

You're not getting free eggs. The eggs cost about $20.00 per dozen, you're getting free beer. I've been feeding my chickens the grains for quite a while.

Perfect.

"Honey, I need to brew some beer."

"Why? Didn't you just brew a few days ago?"

"Yeah, but we need more of those expensive eggs."

I dump my grain over my back fence into my neighbors woods. He has 12 hens and a rooster that love the stuff. I still pay him for the fresh eggs because we eat a lot of eggs, but enjoy the symbiotic quality of the whole thing. I take just about all garden scraps (spinach, lettuce, etc) back there as well.

Those suckers sure do come running when they see me :)

My chickens love the spent grains. Also, my wife is FORCING me to plant hops this year. Apparently, hops are a natural anti-bacterial for chicken intestines. So, once again, my wife is the best thing that ever happened to me.

Back