Cheap, simple Airation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukinfuts29

Reaction score
I often need to get oxygen into my primary's, especially recently with the hard lemonade experiments i'm doing. I got sick of stirring for long periods of time, and tonight I had a light bulb moment. The best part is you probably have this in your garage.

Air matress pump! We have like four coleman pumps, one or two are even battery powered but did not have the right size fitting. Anyway I took four feet of aquarium hose ($1) and stuck it over the "fine point" tip for the air pump.

Then I made a tube with some 1/4 inch pvc pipe, just longer than my pale is deep. This lays down in the primary and the hose feeds through it, to keep the hose on the bottom and not floating to the top to make a mess.

Feed the hose through the pipe, and kick on the pump. I let it go for ten minutes on each bucket. Didn't even have to stand there and wait.

It pushes enough air to get the whole bucket going, and not so much that it makes a mess. Not as ideal as an aquarium pump, but mine died. This way is also quieter.

download.jpg

I would definitely spend $17 and get a filter and a diffuser stone. With no filter I would be scared to thing what bacteria I would be introducing. But as far as the pump goes that is a great idea!

Well my air is clean, the pump isn't on the floor, and everything else is sanitized so i'm not too worried. A filter is a good idea imo, and i'm going to add one but for the next few days this will get it done.

Seriously, there its a ton of bacteria in the air, and wild yeast too, that you are just pumping into your tasty wort. Filters are like 10 bucks online

My aquarium pump never had a filter. I guess i'm just careful because I have never had an infection.

Back