What kind of ciders can I brew (what kind of fruit will ferment)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I have a question about fermenting fruit...
Would that be making cider? If I brew grapes is it going to be called wine or cider? And why?
And last, I have a list of fruit and I'm wondering what I can make cider out of and what I can't..
I know I can do:
apples
pears
peaches
Can I do:
Plums
Apricot
Strawberries
Blueberries
BlackBerry
Keewee
Watermelon
Honey dew and cantaloupe melon

Banana- can you even juice a banana? If you mix it was something like peach juice will it ferment? I only ask about that non-Juice giving fruit because I love banana and would love to figure a way to make an alcoholic beverage out of one..

Oranges??

(if this is an off-the-wall set of questions please bear with me, I'm new at this)

The simple answer is: Yes.

All of those things can be fermented. Try adding some berries to your cider, while the rest of it can be turned into wine. Do a search for some recipes!

The simple answer is: Yes.

All of those things can be fermented. Try adding some berries to your cider, while the rest of it can be turned into wine. Do a search for some recipes!

No way!!! KIWI STRAWBERRY &:cross: BLUEBERRY PEACH HERE I COME!!

Blueberry peach huh....if it works out, share the recipe! The biggest advice i can give you with this is to LOG YOUR BREWING. Nothing worse than getting something that works and not having detailed notes. I literally log everything including what I was listening too and the mood I was in.

I think whether you call it cider or wine really depends on how thick the result is. If you have to chew, would serve it with pizza and there is no denying the origin, call it cider. If you can sniff it and swirl it and drink it with cheese, while not really figuring out where it came from even if it tastes good, call it a fruit wine.

Try searching for Ed Worts Apfelwein. It's a German apple wine but could use a different type of yeast to make a cider instead. I've made several batches of his recipe using different types of fruits and other ingredients. I even made a raspberry/apple cider. They have all came out fantastic with an exception of 1 which used an ale yeast and fermented way too high temp.

The ale yeast certainly makes a difference. I used Nottingham in two of my current 3, and you can tell.

Back