How will high storage temps affect my beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbrew

Reaction score
My house was flooded a couple of months back. About 30 inches of water in the house. Lost almost everything. What was salvaged was moved to a pod type storage container, including 6-8 kegs of home brew. The pod is cram packed so it would be next to impossible to get the kegs off until we are ready to unpack the pod in about a month. The temps have been getting pretty hot here 90+. How will this affect my beer?

Thanks.

I have heard that the speed of chemical reactions doubles for every 10 degrees C.

If you accept that to be true, you can assume that the beer will basically just age at a much more extreme rate. Bottles would be a bigger issue, because the swinging temperatures would promote more of a gas exchange through the crimped cap. In a keg, this may be a lesser issue.

So in a nut shell, storing at 90F is not a great practice, but I guess you do not have another option. Drink it up as soon as you can.

Joe

I would drink it ASAP. Have you ever tasted a skunked beer? At little time at 90*F will do it. At this temperature, the aging process is accelerated to a ridiculously fast rate (as described above.) Get as many as you can into a fridge to slow the process and start drinkin' up!

I have a friend that has been saving kegged beer to see if there is a taste difference over time. He is up to 10 years on his last keg. The last one he tapped at 8 years and found no great change in flavor. Now the kicker....he keeps them outside! Way hot in the summer 100+ and cold in the winter 0 or below on occasion. I have not had the beer so I can't vouch for his report but I trust what he says. If I am not mistaken skunked beer is produced by uv rays getting to the beer not by temp.

I have a friend that has been saving kegged beer to see if there is a taste difference over time. He is up to 10 years on his last keg. The last one he tapped at 8 years and found no great change in flavor. Now the kicker....he keeps them outside! Way hot in the summer 100+ and cold in the winter 0 or below on occasion. I have not had the beer so I can't vouch for his report but I trust what he says. If I am not mistaken skunked beer is produced by uv rays getting to the beer not by temp.

Yes, you are correct regarding the UV rays. It is I who was mistaken, I shouldn't have used the term "skunked." http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/10/011018071707.htm

I think "stale" is more accurate. Higher storage temperatures, especially temperatures approaching 90*F and above, undoubtedly speed the aging process. This can quickly result in stale beer. A quick google should yield the answer.

That's encouraging! I will be able to start unloading some of the things off the storage container next week. Hopefully the kegs aren't completely buried, and I'll be able to get them in the new (still to be built) keezer soon.

Thanks Andy

Back