Storing (vacuum sealed) wet or fresh hops. Or should I dry themout first?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmckee56

Reaction score
I have harvested several ounces of hops from my vines this year and I want to use them as wet or fresh hops. Is it okay to vacuum seal them without drying them first then throw them in when I need them?

I sure hope it is, cause they are in my freezer right now all vacuum sealed up.

Salute! :mug:

What's done is done. Just use them fairly soon...month maybe two at the most. Freezing them wet reduces the shelf life. Also understand that when they thaw, there may be some cellular damage from the ice. They will probably look a bit mushy, but the brew kettle shouldn't care.

Sounds reasonable. I do intend on using them soon. I just was in a vacuum sealing frenzy that day and sealed them up while I was doing all the other items I need to do.

I plan to make a brew Tuesday or Wednesday as I have a DFH 60 minute clone that needs to be transferred from the primary. I think I will make a Pale Cascale using the cascade hops I have.

Salute! :mug:

Back