Input Power Setup (Picture Inside)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zGrubermeister

Reaction score
I just wanted to run this setup by the forum to double check my input power setup for a heating element with temperature control. The power is coming in through a 3 prong dryer outlet via a 3 wire dryer cord, obviously. The picture is pretty self-explanatory.

DistBlock.jpg

Okay or not?

not really enough info. unless the is a separate post explaining what your trying to do. also is the range plug a 30 or 50 amp. ether way 14awg is too small unless you are fusing at 15 amps.

link

I just wanted to run this setup by the forum to double check my input power setup for a heating element with temperature control. The power is coming in through a 3 prong dryer outlet via a 3 wire dryer cord, obviously. The picture is pretty self-explanatory.

DistBlock.jpg

Okay or not?

Sorry, I forgot to mention I am trying to run a 3500 watt 240v element. The dryer outlet is on a 30 amp breaker.

ok, i think i know what you are after. you are using two single pole ssr together so that when they are of there is no power ot ether side of the element? correct?

you can use 14 gauge if you fuse the wire at 15 amps, but that don't give you any head room. if you don't fuse it then you need 10 awg . if i was you i would use 12 awg and fuse it at 20 amps. also check to make sure that the terminal strip is rated for 20 ~ 30 amps

other than that you look to be in good shape

Yes, I'm using two SSRs. Is the 15 amp load the element pulls not split 50/50 between the two hot wires? I thought there would be 7.5 amps at 120v going through each hot leg.

Edit: nevermind, I'm an idiot. There is 15ish amps on each 120v leg. I'll switch to 12awg wire. Thanks for catching my mistake.

The other thing that comes to mind is that the terminal strips usually can hold two lugs, one with crimp up and one crimp down. you could run the feeds to the ssr parallel with power in.

What you have is perfectly acceptable. the idea is to route the higher current through as few interconnections as possible. each connection has a spot resistance depending how tight and clean the metal is. the fewer connection closer together, the lower the temp rise in that area will be.

Thanks for the input. I went ahead a bought some solid 12awg and some stranded 12awg. I'm using the solid for terminal jumpers and the 120v wiring within the control panel then I'll use the stranded to run the power to the element from the SSRs.

Back