Coolers with Screw on lids...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wh4tig0t

Reaction score
Are most of you all using rubbermaid coolers with threaded lids? Seems like it would be kind of an issue with a HEX or sparge arm and various other stuff mounted in the lid and on the sides of the coolers.

Have some of you cut the threads off, or did you construct everything to still be able to screw in.

Also are the lids hollow (to be filled in with foam)?

Here is the cooler I intend on using:
Rubbermaid® Water Cooler - Beverage Jugs & Mugs - Ace Hardware

Online HBS's sell many a premade kit using the beverage coolers and sparge arms. Not sure why there would be an issue with the threaded tops. Never heard that before.

I have an igloo cooler with a lid that screws on for my MLT right now. I batch sparge instead of fly sparge, but I wouldnt think you would not want to have a permanent sparge arm because then you couldnt screw the lid on. The sparge arm would be something you would place over your MLT after the mash. Also the lid is hollow, i havent filled mine with foam and receive no temperature drop if the cooler is properly pre heated, however i only started using it early this summer, winter temps will surely drop the mash temp i think.

I built my own sparge manifold out of 1/2" copper, and suspended it from a hole in the lid. I have a long tube on top to adjust the height depending on the grain bed depth.

DSCF0017.JPG

Back