Chill Haze???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarek82

Reaction score
Ok so I just got done with my first all grain batch a week and half ago. Had it in primary for 7 days and secondary carboy 4 days. Was going to keg this weekend so i decided to throw it in the fridge this morning to drop the yeast and clear further. The beer went from very clear and light with some yeast floaties to cloudy and significantly darker. I would say it went from somewhat cloudy miller light to that resembling the color of a lighter IPA. BTW it is a blonde ale.

Can anyone shed light on this subject or am I just worrying myself. Either way I'm drinking it, my old man just wants to see a clear beer (I could care less).

Thanks!

You answered your own question.
Its chill haze.
Either chill the batch and let the haze drop naturally (1-2 months)
or add a fining agent like Polyclar (currently my fav. to drop chill haze in beer)

How did it happen? It cooled down in less than 15 min with an immersion chiller. I used a strainer when transferring to primary.

What are the instructions for Polyclar? And is that something I could get from the homebrew shop?

Thanks

When you're doing all grain, you need to throw in some Irish Moss (basically seaweed) toward the end of the boil--it binds to the proteins that cause the chill haze and drops to the bottom, so you're able to get rid of them. Other fining agents will also do the trick--gelatin, egg whites, polyclar etc.

This is what I don't understand. I used the 5.2 stab during my mash and sparge. I boiled in 1tbsp irish moss with 15min remaining. I chilled in less than 15 minutes with IC.

The only possible problem I could be encountering is instead of siphoning into the primary I simply poured through a strainer.

Is it possible I just transferred the cold break material into the primary?

Any suggestions for usage of polyclar?

How long did you boil the wort for?

90 min boils usually help in lowering chill haze.

It will go away after awhile just give it time and do a 90 min boil next time.

relax man, your beer's still pretty green! You're still going to have yeast in there and chill haze too. They both settle out in conditioning normally, give it another week to ten days and you should notice a difference. Chill haze is when proteins and polyphenols bind together into larger molecules at low temperature you can see, they do drop down- but slowly. They don't affect the flavour, just appearance and will disappear when the beer is warmed up. Watch out though if your temperature goes up and down a lot, chill haze becomes permanent.

Thanks a lot everyone.

I did a 75 min boil because I was only able to collect 6 gal and didn't want to lose too much through evaporation.

I'm gonna just keg and carb and let it sit, actually don't plan on breaking it out until the end of june.

Back