Low Final Gravities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
I've done 2 all-grain batches now, both of which have ended up with a very low FG. The first batch had a OG of 1.063 and the 2nd batch 1.091 OG. My targeted mash temp was 152F, calculated using Beersmith, where I also calculated and used the correct strike water temp. While taking initial mash temp, it may have beet 1-2 degrees lower than 152F because I kept getting different readings throughout the mash. Below are my final gravities:

1.063 -> 1.006
1.091 -> 1.013

I'm going to assume the low FG's was because of my low mash temp? It was probably around 150F. Am I assuming correctly? The beer isn't bad, but it's pretty dry unfortunately.

I've done 2 all-grain batches now, both of which have ended up with a very low FG. The first batch had a OG of 1.063 and the 2nd batch 1.091 OG. My targeted mash temp was 152F, calculated using Beersmith, where I also calculated and used the correct strike water temp. While taking initial mash temp, it may have beet 1-2 degrees lower than 152F because I kept getting different readings throughout the mash. Below are my final gravities:

1.063 -> 1.006
1.091 -> 1.013

I'm going to assume the low FG's was because of my low mash temp? It was probably around 150F. Am I assuming correctly? The beer isn't bad, but it's pretty dry unfortunately.

I'll bet your thermometer isn't giving you an accurate reading. Esp. if it's a cheap digital one -- those are commonly off by 4*F since most folks don't demand the precision we homebrewers need from their gizmos!

Calibrate it with ice water (crushed ice for 15 minutes) and boiling water (boil for 5 minutes and then hold the proble in the boiling water for 1 minute and read the temp). When I did this I found my analog thermometers are accurate to within 1*F but my digital probe thermometer reads 3*F too low. I'll bet yours is reading about 3-4*F higher than you actually mashed.

High attenuation and a dry finish both indicate low mash temperatures.

4-6 ounces of maltodextrine would add some body, mouthfeel and a little sweetness.

For the first batch I think I let it sit 1 week in the primary, while the latter was 11 days in the primary.

I did test my digital thermometer by placing the probe into an ice cube and it read 32F so it's accurate. I may pick up another digital one to be sure, any suggestions?

Back