What does additional malt with a kit do exactly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zurd

Reaction score
Hi, I've been brewing with Cooper's kit with some additional malt, either in powder or liquid syrup, and I've been wondering what does the additional malt that I add (which does not come with the Cooper's can) does exactly? Do I really need it?

I was thinking that this additional malt makes the beer taste more but I like my beer when it doesn't taste too much, so should I be better off without it?

Thanks

Malt extract is to add additional fermetables and body to the beer.

What kind of malt is it?

How much is there?

And why do you think it is "extra" and not part of the recipe?

you don't like to taste your beer? big BMC fan are ya?

as BM says, it'll give you some more malt flavor, more body, and more alcohol content.
you could use corn sugar instead, which lends no flavor or body, just alcohol content. but I wouldn't add more than a pound, or you'll end up with no body and the alcohol flavor could start to dominate the flavor profile.

I'm pretty sure that I like my beer when it tastes more....

As for adding more extract - that's likely to make your beer higher in alcohol, but it probably won't contribute a ton of flavor unless it's a dark extract.

Here, try this: www.howtobrew.com

Yeah, the cooper kits are the 'kit and kilo' type kits.

If you want to lighten up the flavour and body use maybe 50/50 DME (or LME) and dextrose.

If you do what the can says and use the whole kilo of dextrose it tastes terrible, gives it a cidery taste, trust me - talking from experience here.

If I was you I'd just use Extra light DME to lighten the flavour a little if that's what you're after.

Depending on the amount of extra extract you have, will determine what it is to be used for.

If it is only a cup full for instance, then it could be for priming purposes.

A pound or more would mean that it was meant to be fermented as part of the recipie you selected.

i think I'd be freaked out if my beer could taste....

I wonder if it'd think I was too bitter?

Back