bitter taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renbor

Reaction score
I have brewed 5 batches of beer all from kits purchased thru a brew store.
they have been ok,but all seem to leave a bitter aftertaste someone told me this was the yeast I was tasting but it was in all the beers we brewed,and most use different yeast strains(dry).I am using a keggerator and force carbing in korny kegs. Any ideas on how to lose this taste? usually letting it ferment for two weeks before racking into secondary they it sets for around two additional weeks before kegging,and this is generally what the kits called for.

What kinds of brews have you been making?? What's the aftertaste like? IF it's more acidic then it's your carbonation level you're pushing to the brews. I would use the two week 'set and forget' carbonation method for a few batches. You set the kegs to serving pressure, and temperature (get them to temperature first) for 2-3 weeks and then pull a pint. This helps to eliminate over carbonating issues caused by the rapid forced method.

Also, what are you using for water? If tap water, try filtered/spring water (like Poland Springs) for a few batches.

Racking to a second vessel for ales is pointless these days. It increases the risks of bad things happening (contamination, infection, oxidation, etc.). Better to leave it in primary until ready, then move to keg.
Kits are notorious for using ancient/dated methods for brewers.

Also, make sure you corny (not korny) kegs are clean and sanitized properly. What are you using for sanitizer?

Back